Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

IllegalArgumentException in Create Table Hive with SerDe

New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I am trying to integrate Hive with an HBase instance that uses Avro to store data. I have followed the procedure described in the documentation here. In HBase I have one table called 'events' with one column family (masterdata) and one payload column (payload).

The stack is running on Hortonworks 2.4:

Hive: 1.2.1,

Hbase: 1.1.2

HDFS: 2.7.1

The procedure to create the table in Hive is stored as setup.hql:

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE masterdata_events
ROW FORMAT SERDE 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseSerDe'
STORED BY 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseStorageHandler'
WITH SERDEPROPERTIES (
  "hbase.columns.mapping" = ":key,masterdata:payload",
  "masterdata.payload.serialization.type"="avro",
  "masterdata.payload.avro.schema.url" = 'hdfs://cluster/schema.avsc',
  "hive.serialization.extend.nesting.levels" = "true"
)
TBLPROPERTIES ("hbase.table.name" = "events", "hbase.struct.autogenerate"="true");

I run it with 'hive -f setup.hql'. The output is as follows:

OK
Time taken: 2.625 seconds
OK
Time taken: 3.301 seconds
OK
Time taken: 0.066 seconds
FAILED: IllegalArgumentException Error: : expected at the end of 'string:struct<product:struct<productmain:struct<id:string,...so on and so on ...>'

Now, I would like to point out that the amount of characters between the two single quotes is 4008. After a search on google, I have found an answer from another user in this community stating that you have to increase the size of the SERDE_PARAMS in the Hive Metadata store. Now, despite the workaround, I am still experiencing the same issue. I have also tried to use "masterdata.payload.avro.schema.literal" as well, but nothing has changed. The avro schema is valid json (verified).

Could you please give me any hints?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

have you added following property in TBLPROPERTIES

"hbase.struct.autogenerate"= "true"

This allows you to avoid manually creating the columns and types for Avro schemas

And ,I think hive.serialization.extend.nesting.levels may not be in affect as it is used by lazySimpleSerde

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

have you added following property in TBLPROPERTIES

"hbase.struct.autogenerate"= "true"

This allows you to avoid manually creating the columns and types for Avro schemas

And ,I think hive.serialization.extend.nesting.levels may not be in affect as it is used by lazySimpleSerde

New Contributor

Thanks a lot for your answer, @Ankit Singhal! Yes, I have added the property

"hbase.struct.autogenerate" = "true"

in the setup.hql file. In regards to the "hive.serialization.extend.nesting.levels", I had to add it, because I was receiving an error message like this:

ERROR ql.Driver: FAILED: SemanticException 
org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.SerDeException: Number of levels of 
nesting supported for LazySimpleSerde is 8 Unable to work with 9 levels

or something similar. After I added that line, it started working just to break to IllegalArgumentException - I am not sure if they are somehow related (?).