Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Impala External Table Create Error

New Contributor

Hello,

This is my first time working with Impala and I'm getting very odd errors, which I cannot find the cause of.  I am trying to follow the Impala tutorial in http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/Impala/latest/Installing-and-Using-Im....  When I try to create my external table from the impala-shell it gives me the following error:

ERROR: MetaException: Got exception: org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException Permission denied: user=impala, access=WRITE, inode="/user":hdfs:supergroup:drwxr-xr-x

I am going nuts trying to google this and have found several suggestions, but non of which seems to do anything for me.

My files are in a directory /user/data/table1

I did a hdfs dfs -chmod on just about everthing I could think of to 777 so everything should be writeable.  I made the user and group impala:impala on all the data files and the directories.  Yet, I am still getting this error.  The error message doesn't tell me specifically what directory the problem is.  I really wish that were the case, then I wouldn't need to bother anyone.

Any suggestions would be very helpful?

Do I need a specific directory?

Should my CSV files be chown to some other user?

Should I be running impala-shell as a different user than root, hdfs, impala (I've tried all 3)?

Should I have ran the Cloudera Install Manager as a different user?

P.S. I moved the CSV file into the directory using the hdfs dfs -put command just like the tutorial said.  This seems like great stuff if I could just get it to work. 

Thanks

Raj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

Well, I reinstalled everything and now it works like a champ.  I can't explain what I did different in the installation this time, versus last time, but as we all know computers don't think for themselves 🙂 ...so I guess user error? 😞

So anyways, umm yeah, looks pretty good.

Thanks

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

New Contributor

Well, I reinstalled everything and now it works like a champ.  I can't explain what I did different in the installation this time, versus last time, but as we all know computers don't think for themselves 🙂 ...so I guess user error? 😞

So anyways, umm yeah, looks pretty good.

Thanks