Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Impala timestamp diff functionality

Contributor

What is the best way to do a diff on timestamp fields in Impala version 1.2.3 where the difference in milliseconds is required?  

Here is my query-

select a.session_key,a.ani,a.event_timestamp "event_start_timetsamp",b.event_timestamp "event_end_timestamp"
from nuance_ivr_logs a, nuance_ivr_logs b
where
a.session_key='{134E1EF7-3A8E-4FA8-A944-89367DEA8FB7}'
and a.session_key=b.session_key
and a.ani=b.ani
and a.event_type='SWIclst' and a.event_attribute_seq=1
and b.event_type='SWIclnd' and a.event_attribute_seq=1;

+----------------------------------------+------------+-------------------------------+-------------------------------+

| session_key                            | ani        | event_start_timetsamp         | event_end_timestamp           |

+----------------------------------------+------------+-------------------------------+-------------------------------+

| {134E1EF7-3A8E-4FA8-A944-89367DEA8FB7} | xxxxxxxx | 2013-12-17 17:59:58.677000000 | 2013-12-17 18:02:51.239000000 |

I need to add a column for event_duration, which is the diff of event_end_timestamp and event_start_timestamp.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Mentor
You could do it via some of the date based built-in functions at http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/Impala/latest/Installing-and-Using-Im...

I'd imagine something such as:

unix_timestamp(to_date(event_end_timestamp)) - unix_timestamp(to_date(event_start_timetsamp))

Should give you an bigint return of the number of milliseconds.