Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Implementing patches between releases

Super Collaborator

HDP-2.5.0.0 using Ambari 2.4.0.1

I was trying to execute a Hive query like :

SELECT DISTINCT ...... ,ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY .....)

when I got the error :

Error: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: SemanticException SELECT DISTINCT not allowed in the presence of windowing functions when CBO is off (state=42000,code=40000)

I ended up in this Apache Hive JIRA case. I have the following questions :

1. The said JIRA case talks about Hive versions 2.x. Given the current HDP version, I am using Hive 1.2.1.2.5, yet, I have the same error(which is possible, logically)
  2. The JIRA case is 'resolved' in mid-October, the patch seems to be available but I guess it is for Hive 2.x
  3. Are there ways to get notified/track and implement these patches(here it's Hive but, in general, for all services) between two releases i.e now I am using 2.5 but do I have to live without the patches till the next version is released ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

Applying patches is technically possible though not supported by HWX. you will have to fetch the right build of Hive, compile, deploy and update symlinks. HDP 2.5.x is right around the corner, cross your fingers that the said patch is included. I'd love to confirm it but latest release notes have not been published.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Master Mentor

Applying patches is technically possible though not supported by HWX. you will have to fetch the right build of Hive, compile, deploy and update symlinks. HDP 2.5.x is right around the corner, cross your fingers that the said patch is included. I'd love to confirm it but latest release notes have not been published.