Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Install HDP 2.4.2 on my Dual Core, 8GB RAM Windows 10 laptop ? Is there a download available

Explorer

Hi,

I am gathering info on setting up a HDP environment on my laptop. I want to run my Tableau reports using Spark and Hadoop.

Is it possible to setup HDP 2.4.2 on my Win 10 laptop? Is there a download available with some documentation?

PS: I DON'T intend to install the Sandbox.

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Devpriyo Bhattacharya,

You cannot install HDP natively on Windows 10. You can, however, run HDP on your Windows 10 laptop via Docker or virtual machines but I expect the behavior to be very unpredictable. You are going to be *very* resource constrained and you will likely experience occasional component failures and/or slow response time.

That said, typically I would recommend that you leverage the dockerized sandbox for this situation. However, if you wish to go through the process of a customized installation then you can take the whole thing for a test drive using Docker for Windows. To do this you will need to do the following:

• Download and install Docker for Windows
  • Launch a CentOS 7 container with appropriate ports opened - most importantly 8080 for Ambari and 10000 for HiveServer2 - you may realize that you need others open later for various UIs and connectivity (e.g., 50070 for the HDFS UI)
  • Connect to the CentOS 7 container and run through the standard Ambari installation process to install your custom single-node HDP installation. I recommend installing the very minimum number of components due to your resource limitation.

This will get you a single-node HDP installation running on your laptop that you can use for basic functionality testing. It will be similar to the Sandbox with the exception being that you have hand-selected the components that you wish to install.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Devpriyo Bhattacharya,

You cannot install HDP natively on Windows 10. You can, however, run HDP on your Windows 10 laptop via Docker or virtual machines but I expect the behavior to be very unpredictable. You are going to be *very* resource constrained and you will likely experience occasional component failures and/or slow response time.

That said, typically I would recommend that you leverage the dockerized sandbox for this situation. However, if you wish to go through the process of a customized installation then you can take the whole thing for a test drive using Docker for Windows. To do this you will need to do the following:

• Download and install Docker for Windows
  • Launch a CentOS 7 container with appropriate ports opened - most importantly 8080 for Ambari and 10000 for HiveServer2 - you may realize that you need others open later for various UIs and connectivity (e.g., 50070 for the HDFS UI)
  • Connect to the CentOS 7 container and run through the standard Ambari installation process to install your custom single-node HDP installation. I recommend installing the very minimum number of components due to your resource limitation.

This will get you a single-node HDP installation running on your laptop that you can use for basic functionality testing. It will be similar to the Sandbox with the exception being that you have hand-selected the components that you wish to install.

Explorer

Thanks a lot for the reply Brandon. I think I have got a starting point. Appreciate.

Expert Contributor

I dont think you can download it directly onto Windows, your only option is a virtual machine but you would need 8GB of RAM for the virtual machine alone