Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Installation of CDP 7.1.1 trial version is not working (with the auto installation script or manually)

Explorer

Hello

I have some cloudera installation experience including production clusters of CDH 5 and 6.
I once installed the CDP 7.0.3 trial version using the automatic installation script and it was good. Now I wanted to see how the latest
CDP 7.1.1 looks like. So I followed the instructions and downloaded cloudera-manager-installer.bin script.

Then I prepared several virtual CentOs 7.6 hosts with OpenJDK 8 and SELinux turned off and ran the script on one of them.
It was running fine for a while, then after installing the embedded database it halted for a long time.
The installation logs looked like this:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 12 16:16 0.check-selinux.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 12 16:16 1.install-repo-pkg.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1843 Jun 12 16:20 2.install-openjdk8.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2205 Jun 12 17:03 3.install-cloudera-manager-server.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 22355 Jun 12 17:03 4.check-for-systemd.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3824 Jun 12 17:03 5.install-cloudera-manager-server-db-2.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 12 17:03 6.daemon-reload.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 12 17:03 7.start-cloudera-scm-server-db.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 12 17:03 8.start-cloudera-scm-server.log

Note that the last Three steps log files are empty. Step 5 finished successfuly:
Installed:
cloudera-manager-server-db-2.x86_64 0:7.1.1-3274282.el7

Dependency Installed:
postgresql10.x86_64 0:10.12-1PGDG.rhel7
postgresql10-libs.x86_64 0:10.12-1PGDG.rhel7
postgresql10-server.x86_64 0:10.12-1PGDG.rhel7

Complete!

I let it run overnight but it still did not finish.

I looked at cloudera-scm-server.log and saw it is spinning endlessly on those two lines:

2020-06-14 16:39:04,574 INFO pool-201-thread-1:com.cloudera.server.cmf.components.CmServerStateSynchronizer: Syncup is started.
2020-06-14 16:39:34,594 INFO pool-201-thread-1:com.cloudera.server.cmf.components.CmServerStateSynchronizer: Cleanup is started

Every minute another cycle begun, but there was no other action in the log. I searched those two lines in google but did not come up with
significant results.

I deleted the VM, and created a new one but ended up with the same result.

Did anyone succeed in installing a trial cluster from this installation script ? Is it a known issue ?

I then tried a manual approach. I found the cloudera trial yum repository:
[cloudera-manager]
name=Cloudera Manager 7.1.1
baseurl=https://archive.cloudera.com/cm7/7.1.1/redhat7/yum/
gpgkey=https://archive.cloudera.com/cm7/7.1.1/redhat7/yum/RPM-GPG-KEY-cloudera
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1
autorefresh=0
type=rpm-md

I used it to install the embedded database, scm-server and the daemons. In the end of the installation I saw the same two lines
spinning in the log. I restarted scm server and this time it started properly and I was able to log in and tried to install a cluster.

However, I was'nt able to find the 7.1.1 parcels for trial. All the predefinded parcel repositories required credentials. The highest
version parcels I could get was 6.3.2.
This is a trial version, I expect it to point to a place where I can download 7.1.1 trial parcels.

Is there a working way to install 7.1.1 trial cluster ? What am I missing here ?

Thanks you

Guy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @ni4ni ,

we were able to reproduce internally the behaviour you reported. As a workaround when the installer hangs, open http://hostname:7180 and proceed with the installation. Raising this internally to investigate further.

Kind regards:

Ferenc

Ferenc Erdelyi, Technical Solutions Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hello @ni4ni ,

thank you for sharing with us your observations on the CDP 7.1.1. installation.

Regarding to the 7.1.1. parcels, there is a workaround for the bug you hit.

For your convenience pasting here the main steps:

Click Parcel Repositories & Network Settings

Remove that URL, and replace it with:

https://archive.cloudera.com/cdh7/7.1.1.0/parcels/

Let me research your observations regarding to the installation script and get back to you.

Kind regards:
Ferenc

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Hello @ni4ni ,

we were able to reproduce internally the behaviour you reported. As a workaround when the installer hangs, open http://hostname:7180 and proceed with the installation. Raising this internally to investigate further.

Kind regards:

Ferenc

Explorer

I used the parcel repo you supplied along with manual installation and it worked.

Thank you

Guy

Hello @ni4ni ,

thank you for your feedback that you were successfully applied the workaround to install the 7.1.1. parcels!

Best regards:

Ferenc

New Contributor

I tried this workaround for my installation on Ubuntu 18.04 and nothing...... the error is incomplete installation. I am installing this using the windows subsytem for Linux (windows 10)

Do you know a workaround for this please?

Thanks