Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

InvokeHTTP randomly hangs

Solved Go to solution
Highlighted

Re: InvokeHTTP randomly hangs

New Contributor

@DavidNa I've also tested this on Java 11.0.8 (openjdk version "11.0.8" 2020-07-14 LTS) and have found the same issue.  But I'm having some success with previous versions of Java 8 (build 232, 252)

Highlighted

New Contributor

We've also run into exactly this problem. So far we've tested a combination of NiFi and Java versions with mixed success: seems like the issue is a Java one and is present in a few different versions/distributions of Java.

Same symptoms: InvokeHTTP slowly locks up until all threads are locked and the queues back up.

Couldn't reproduce on a simple AWS deployment, involing one EC2 instance running an HTTP server serving a small binary file, and another running a single node 2-core nifi cluster. Haven't tested with a larger instance yet.

NiFi 1.9.2NiFi 1.11.4NiFi 1.12.1
Oracle Java 1.8u144worksworksnot tested
OpenJDK 1.8u242n/tn/tabout to test
OpenJDK 1.8u252failsfailsfails
OpenJDK 11.0.7n/tn/tfails
Amazon Corretto 11.0.8n/tn/tfails

New Contributor

To update - the combination of NiFi 1.12.1 and OpenJDK 1.8u242 works fine - left it running overnight with no hanging. I expect NiFi 1.11.4 to also work with this version, and avoid the bleeding edge!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New Contributor

I've had some success in stabilising InvokeHTTP by adding a "Connection" property and setting its value to "close". As I understand it, this will effectively disable HTTP keepalives in the underlying libraries.

Screenshot from 2020-11-12 10-20-54.png

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here