Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Is it possible to import a complete new taxonomy terms in Apache Atlas?

Explorer

Hello,

I've been reading API documents and I wonder is it possible to import a new taxonomy to Apache Atlas. For instance using a JSON with a hierarchical list of terms to be included.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Héctor Pérez Arteaga

Are you referring to the "Business Taxonomy" feature (https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.5.0/bk_data-governance/content/ch_managing_atlas_business_taxonomy.html)? If so, this is currently in tech preview feature and not recommended for production. Business Taxonomy, as it is, will not be developed further and will be replaced in a future version. I would advise you not use it if possible.

Having said that, to answer your question; there is no API call to import Taxonomies in bulk. You would have to use the API to add each individual term. The best path is to write a script/program that calls the API to do the bulk inserts in a loop.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

@Héctor Pérez Arteaga

Are you referring to the "Business Taxonomy" feature (https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.5.0/bk_data-governance/content/ch_managing_atlas_business_taxonomy.html)? If so, this is currently in tech preview feature and not recommended for production. Business Taxonomy, as it is, will not be developed further and will be replaced in a future version. I would advise you not use it if possible.

Having said that, to answer your question; there is no API call to import Taxonomies in bulk. You would have to use the API to add each individual term. The best path is to write a script/program that calls the API to do the bulk inserts in a loop.

Explorer

Thank you @Eyad Garelnabi,

I'm doing a proof of concept, so I'm interested in Business taxonomy. Business taxonomy will be replace, do you have more details about the new tool that's going to replace Business Taxonomy?

I'm afraid not at this point. The community has stopped development on this code-base and is looking at alternate paths. I'll update this post once I have more information.

Explorer

Thank you, I would apreciate your updates in this suject. I'm very interested in Business Taxonomy or similar features in Data Gov included in HDP.

New Contributor

Hi Eyad,

I am also doing one POC, which is in advance stage of getting approved by senior management. Can you please suggest is there any other replacement of Taxonomy Apache Atlas team is thinking off.

Thanks in advance.

@vikas aggarwal

Yes, the community is working on a replacement Taxonomy/Business Catalog feature. However, we do not have a release timeframe yet.