Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Is the AES NI CPU necessary for encryption HDFS data?

Hello,

I'm trying to configure and use HDFS data at rest encryption. I'm stuck at the step of preparing the environment as mentioned in the following link:

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.6.2/bk_security/content/AES-NI-CPU-support.html.

When i do $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep aes i got nothing in return. So, AES NI is not enabled on my CPU.

My questions are:

1- Is it possible to skip all these steps mentioned in the section "Prepare the environment" and proceed the next step which is "Create an Encryption Key"?

If no:

2- How can enable AES NI CPU for the first sub-step?

3- How can i install version libcrypto.so mentioned in the second sub-step on my Ubuntu 14.04?

I'll be grateful if someone could help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AES NI is a performance accelerator, so it is not required to use HDFS TDE (transparent data encryption).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AES NI is a performance accelerator, so it is not required to use HDFS TDE (transparent data encryption).

@vperiasamy

Thank you for your reply. I've skipped the first sub-step related to AES NI CPU and i proceeded with the second sub-step for libcrypto. When i tap $ hadoop checknative i got the same output mentioned in the tutorial. So, everything is working correctly.

I am glad it is working for you now. Please accept the answer if your issue is resolved.