Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Is there anyway to upgrade HIVE from an existing HDP cluster using open source?

Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyway to upgrade our HIVE from an existing HDP cluster?

So we have deployed previously a HDP cluster, but the hortonworks public url is currently not accessible, so I was wondering if there was any other way to upgrade our HIVE.

Can someone help please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@ryu 

My advice is just don't attempt because the HDP software is closely wired. Vigorous unit testing and compatibility are implemented before certifying a version. HDP is a packaged software when you update it's either all or none, you can't update only a component except Ambari  and the underlying databases for hive,oozie,ranger etc 
Yes, the old good days of real open source is gone.I loved HWX 
If you are running production clusters then you definitely need to a subscription

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Mentor

@ryu 

My advice is just don't attempt because the HDP software is closely wired. Vigorous unit testing and compatibility are implemented before certifying a version. HDP is a packaged software when you update it's either all or none, you can't update only a component except Ambari  and the underlying databases for hive,oozie,ranger etc 
Yes, the old good days of real open source is gone.I loved HWX 
If you are running production clusters then you definitely need to a subscription

Hope that helps

Contributor

@Shelton Thanks for the advice.

So let's say if a subscription is currently out of our budget, but may consider a subscription in the future, previously, before Hortonworks was acquired by Cloudera, lots of the HDP packages were accessible.

Now that Hortonworks got acquired by Cloudera, many of the HDP policies changed i believe, therefore making the HDP packages inaccessible unless you have a subscription.

Do you have any suggestions in regards to upgrading any hadoop components as a subscription may be currently out of our budget?

If we were to upgrade the hadoop components, would the best way is to start over and deploy and brand new cluster via open source and migrate the data from the old cluster to the new?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,