Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Is there way to add comment to a phoenix table?

Master Guru

Is there way to add comment to a phoenix table? I know of the "comments" functinality but it only is used to add comments to a script. I need to add comment to a table (ie field) like TD or oracle functionality.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star

You cannot add a description / comment to a Phoenix table in the same way as you would add in Oracle/TD, that is: no equivalent to the `COMMENT ON TABLE` SQL command, neither in the Phoenix SQL, nor in the underlying Hbase api.

You can accomplish your goal by using external tools to keep tab on your table metadata.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rising Star

@Sunile Manjee Comments functionality is supported in Phoenix as well.

Ex: "SELECT /* this is a comment */ CAST(USNIG_LONG_ID as DECIMAL) FROM <Table_Name> ORDER BY USNIG_LONG_ID DESC limit 3;"

Reference: https://phoenix.apache.org/language/#comments

Master Guru

This is adding a comment within the script and I am aware of the functionality. The question is about adding comment to table or column, ie like oracle/TD

Rising Star

You cannot add a description / comment to a Phoenix table in the same way as you would add in Oracle/TD, that is: no equivalent to the `COMMENT ON TABLE` SQL command, neither in the Phoenix SQL, nor in the underlying Hbase api.

You can accomplish your goal by using external tools to keep tab on your table metadata.