Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Issue in using avro-tools

Issue in using avro-tools

Contributor

Hi Guys,

I am trying to use the avro-tools to get the avro schema from avro file. But I am getting the message like saying "file doesn't exist". If I issue "Hadoop fs -ls" command I can see the file. Even I can see the avro file content by giving the path. But if I issue the "avro-tools getschema <avro file path> I am getting file doesn't exist error. Anybody got the same type of error earlier. I also attached the screen shot of the error.

Regards,

P.Mahendiran

avro-file-input-data-issue.jpgavro-file-input-data-content.jpgavro-file-input-data-existence-error.jpgavro-file-input-data-existence.jpg
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Issue in using avro-tools

Super Guru

@Mahendiran Palani Samy

Method 1:-

Move the .avro hdfs file to local by using below command

[cloudera@quickstart~]hdfs dfs -get /user/Mahe/custom_retail_db/orders_AVRO/part-m-00000.avro 

hdfs dfs -get command will copy file from hadoop to local file system.

then

[cloudera@quickstart~]ls-ltr //list all the files by sorting time modified
[cloudera@quickstart~]avro-tools getschema part-m-00000.avro

Avro-tools utility will expects file to be in local file system not in hadoop. That's the reason why you are getting part-m-00000.avro does not exist.

(or)

Method 2:-

If you want to get schema from HDFS file instead of copy the file to Local file system then

You need to download avro tools dependencies from below link

https://jar-download.com/explore-java-source-code.php?a=avro-tools&g=org.apache.avro&v=1.8.1&downloa...

43890-avro-tools.png

Click on Download button, once you download is completed then move avro-tools-1.8.1.jar to local file system..

then run

[cloudera@quickstart~]hadoop jar <path-to>/avro-tools-1.8.1.jar getschema /user/Mahe/custom_retail_db/orders_AVRO/part-m-00000.avro |hdfs dfs -put -f - /user/Mahe/avro_schema.avsc

In this command we are using hadoop file path and extracting the schema and storing the schema to avro_schema.avsc file in /user/Mahe directory.

[cloudera@quickstart~]hdfs dfs -cat /user/Mahe/avro_schema.avsc  //to cat the contents of avro_schema.avsc file

In this way you can get schema from the .avro file, you can choose the best way for your case.

Re: Issue in using avro-tools

Contributor

Thanks, Shu.. The problem is fixed after I move the file to local. Thanks for the response.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here