Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Issues installing agent on manager host

Explorer

I'm having issues installing the cloudera-scm-agent on the same same machine as the manager. All of the remote hosts installed fine, just not the agent on the manager itsself. 

The wizard gets the packages installed but then the agent cant seem to talk to the manager.

Wizard shows: Installation failed. Failed to receive heartbeat from agent.

and in the log in  /var/log/cloudera-scm-agent/cloudera-scm-agent.log  I see:

[14/Aug/2018 17:07:07 +0000] 18986 MainThread agent        ERROR    Failed to connect to previous supervisor.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/build/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cmf-5.15.0-py2.7.egg/cmf/agent.py", line 2137, in find_or_start_supervisor

self.get_supervisor_process_info()

File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/build/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cmf-5.15.0-py2.7.egg/cmf/agent.py", line 2281, in get_supervisor_process_info

self.identifier = self.supervisor_client.supervisor.getIdentification()

File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/xmlrpclib.py", line 1233, in __call__

return self.__send(self.__name, args)

File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/xmlrpclib.py", line 1591, in __request

verbose=self.__verbose

File "/usr/lib64/cmf/agent/build/env/lib/python2.7/site-packages/supervisor-3.0-py2.7.egg/supervisor/xmlrpc.py", line 470, in request

'' )

ProtocolError: <ProtocolError for 127.0.0.1/RPC2: 401 Unauthorized>

[14/Aug/2018 17:07:07 +0000] 18986 MainThread tmpfs        INFO     Reusing mounted tmpfs at /run/cloudera-scm-agent/process

[14/Aug/2018 17:07:08 +0000] 18986 MainThread agent        INFO     Trying to connect to newly launched supervisor (Attempt 1)

[14/Aug/2018 17:07:08 +0000] 18986 MainThread agent        ERROR    Failed! trying again in 1 second(s)

any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

@DaveO,

The exception means that the agent cannot log into the supervisor.  For some reason the agent's password is not the same as the running supervisor.  I wonder if this host had an agent already running when you tried to install or something like that.

To correct this, check for running supervisor processes

For example "ps aux |grep supervisor | grep agent" and kill them if they are any

When no supervisor processes are running, try starting the agent again and see if it starts/connects to a new supervisor.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Master Guru

@DaveO,

The exception means that the agent cannot log into the supervisor.  For some reason the agent's password is not the same as the running supervisor.  I wonder if this host had an agent already running when you tried to install or something like that.

To correct this, check for running supervisor processes

For example "ps aux |grep supervisor | grep agent" and kill them if they are any

When no supervisor processes are running, try starting the agent again and see if it starts/connects to a new supervisor.