Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

KDC Default Realm in krb5.conf

Contributor

We have several realms in our company and we plan to dedicate one to our Hadoop cluster managed by Ambari. Let's say we have:

PROD.COM #default realm to be used by production services
HADOOP.COM #dedicated for Hadoop cluster

And it is mandatory for us to have PROD.COM as default realm in krb5.conf. However with PROD.COM as default realm I always get this error after successful kinit as hdfs:

[root@hadoop-poc2-01:/etc] kinit -kt /etc/security/keytabs/hdfs.headless.keytab hdfs-poc2@HADOOP.COM

[root@hadoop-poc2-01:/etc] hadoop fs -ls /
16/07/11 13:28:39 WARN security.UserGroupInformation: Not attempting to re-login since the last re-login was attempted less than 600 seconds before.
16/07/11 13:28:40 WARN ipc.Client: Couldn't setup connection for hdfs-poc2@HADOOP.COM to hadoop-poc2-01.int.na.prod.com/172.30.52.136:8020
javax.security.sasl.SaslException: GSS initiate failed [Caused by GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism level: Fail to create credential. (63) - No service creds)]

With default realm set to HADOOP.COM it just works.

Any hints? Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Milan Sladky

If you add a [domain_realm] section to your krb5.conf file, mapping the domain or DNS names of the hosts in the cluster to the HADOOP.COM realm, this should help:

Example using just the domain portion of the FQDNs of the hosts in the hadoop cluster

[domain_realm]
.my.hadoop.domain.com = HADOOP.COM

Example using the explicit FQDNs of the hosts in the hadoop cluster

[domain_realm]
hadoop-poc2-01.my.hadoop.domain.com = HADOOP.COM
hadoop-poc2-02.my.hadoop.domain.com = HADOOP.COM

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Milan Sladky

If you add a [domain_realm] section to your krb5.conf file, mapping the domain or DNS names of the hosts in the cluster to the HADOOP.COM realm, this should help:

Example using just the domain portion of the FQDNs of the hosts in the hadoop cluster

[domain_realm]
.my.hadoop.domain.com = HADOOP.COM

Example using the explicit FQDNs of the hosts in the hadoop cluster

[domain_realm]
hadoop-poc2-01.my.hadoop.domain.com = HADOOP.COM
hadoop-poc2-02.my.hadoop.domain.com = HADOOP.COM

Contributor

@Robert Levas, thanks for hint. This actually works!

But I was afraid that following kinit (used a lot internally):

[root@hadoop-poc2-01:/etc] kinit host/hadoop-poc2-01.my.hadoop.domain.com

will be towards HADOOP.COM realm; based on the domain_realm settings...

But it actually goes towards PROD.COM realm:

[root@hadoop-poc2-01:/etc] kinit host/hadoop-poc2-01.my.hadoop.domain.com
Password for host/hadoop-poc2-01.my.hadoop.domain.com@PROD.COM: 

Which is good, but I do not understand why it works....

Hi @Milan Sladky... It is unclear whether this solves your problem or not.

So when

kinit host/hadoop-poc2-01.my.hadoop.domain.com

is invoked after my domain_realm suggestion is apply, the assumed realm should be PROD.COM, not HADOOP.COM. This is because no explicit realm or domain is indicated in the principal name... the "/hadoop-poc2-01.my.hadoop.domain.com" part of the principal name does not get used by the underlying libraries to determine the relevant host, domain, or realm. Therefore, the default realm value is used.

Contributor

@Robert Levas, that explains it just fine. Thx for all help, really appreciated.