Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Kafka Producer on Apache Atlas via command line

Contributor

Hi,

I tried to use this command line :

> $KAFKA_BORKER_HOME/bin/kafka-topics.sh --create --zookeeper localhost:2181 --replication-factor 1 --partitions 1 --topic test

> $KAFKA_BORKER_HOME/bin/kafka-console-producer.sh --broker-list localhost:9092 --topic test

When I typed a test message like:

test message 1

I had this error message :

[2017-06-23 10:17:43,467] ERROR Error when sending message to topic test with key: null, value: 14 bytes with error: (org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.internals.ErrorLoggingCallback)
org.apache.kafka.common.errors.TimeoutException: Failed to update metadata after 60000 ms.

Do you have a suggestion ?

A this time, I am investigated around Ranger configuration.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

@Smart Data ,

Can you please check if the port 9092 is correct in the broker list and the broker is up and running ?

Also , is your cluster kerberized ?

Please note that :

The issue has nothing to do with Atlas or Ranger . When Atlas starts up , it creates 2 kafka topics ATLAS_HOOK and ATLAS_ENTITIES . The user doesn't have to create any topic.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Collaborator

@Smart Data ,

Can you please check if the port 9092 is correct in the broker list and the broker is up and running ?

Also , is your cluster kerberized ?

Please note that :

The issue has nothing to do with Atlas or Ranger . When Atlas starts up , it creates 2 kafka topics ATLAS_HOOK and ATLAS_ENTITIES . The user doesn't have to create any topic.

Contributor

Thanks for your comment @Sharmadha Sainath

I use HDP SandBox, so I use the default configuration.

Mu cluster is not kerberized.

First, I tried to use kafka-console-producer.sh to create an entity on ATLAS_HOOK. I had the same error message.

Command :

lsof -i -P -n  | grep kafka

Result :

java       x      kafka  x  IPv6 x      0t0  TCP *:60141 (LISTEN)
java       x      kafka  x  IPv6 x      0t0  TCP 192.x.x.x:49648->192.x.x.x:2181 (ESTABLISHED)
java       x      kafka  x  IPv6 x      0t0  TCP 192.x.x.x:6667 (LISTEN)
java       x      kafka  x  IPv6 x      0t0  TCP 1192.x.x.x:6667->192.x.x.x:32837 (ESTABLISHED)
java       x      kafka  x  IPv6 x      0t0  TCP 192.x.x.x:47712->192.x.x.x:6667 (CLOSE_WAIT)
java       x      kafka  x  IPv6 x      0t0  TCP 192.x.x.x:45976->192.x.x.x:6188 (ESTABLISHED)
java       x      kafka  x  IPv6 x      0t0  TCP 192.x.x.x:6667->192.x.x.x:47717 (ESTABLISHED)

Command :

$KAFKA_BROKER_HOME/bin/kafka-topics.sh --describe --topic ATLAS_HOOK --zookeeper localhost:2181

Result :

Topic:ATLAS_HOOK        PartitionCount:1        ReplicationFactor:1     Configs:
        Topic: ATLAS_HOOK       Partition: 0    Leader: 1001    Replicas: 1001  Isr: 1001

Super Collaborator
@Smart Data

Can you please try with "--broker-list localhost:6667" ?

broker seems to be running on port 6667.

To verify the port number on which kafka broker is running , get into zookeeper client shell

using $ZOOKEEPER_HOME/bin/zkCli.sh and get the broker port.

The following image is taken after running zookeeper client shell and note that get /brokers/ids/0 lists the port.

16569-screen-shot-2017-06-23-at-92139-pm.png

Best way to check the processes running on a port is using lsof -i:6667.

In your case , "kakfa" in the 3rd column of output lsof -i -P -n | grep kafka is the kafka user and not the process itself.

Also , best practice is to use the hostname itself instead of "localhost".

Contributor

Thank you su much @Sharmadha Sainath!

Your comment is very useful !!!

I tested these commands :

$KAFKA_HOME/bin/kafka-console-producer.sh --broker-list MY_HOSTNAME:6667 --topic ATLAS_HOOK

Then in Kafka Procuder console:

{"version": {"version": "1.0.0"}, "message": {"entities": [{"jsonClass": "org.apache.atlas.typesystem.json.InstanceSerialization$_Reference", "id": {"jsonClass": "org.apache.atlas.typesystem.json.InstanceSerialization$_Id", "id": "-1467290565135246000", "version": 0, "typeName": "hdfs_path", "state": "ACTIVE"}, "typeName": "hdfs_path", "values": {"qualifiedName": "TestKafka", "owner": "admin", "description": "Test kafka", "path":"/user/data/testkafka.csv", posixPermissions": null, "createTime": "1970-01-01T00:00:00.000Z", "isSymlink": false, "extendedAttributes": null, "numberOfReplicas": 0, "name": "DataKFK"}, "traitNames": [], "traits": {} }], "type": "ENTITY_CREATE", "user": "admin"} }

So, Atlas notifies into ATLAS_ENTITIES topic this new entity. I could see it on Atlas UI !

Have a good day !