Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Kafka SSL error

Expert Contributor

Hello All - I'm getting this error, when publishing messages to Kafka topic using SSL mode,

Command to publish messages :

/usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/kafka/bin/kafka-producer-perf-test.sh --messages 1000000 --message-size 1000 --topics mmtest4 \
--broker-list <host1>:9093,<host2>:9093,<host3>:9093, \
--threads 1 --compression-codec 3 --batch-size 10000 \
--security-protocol SSL --show-detailed-stats 

Error message :[2017-12-21 19:48:49,846] WARN Fetching topic metadata with correlation id 11 for topics [Set(mmtest4)] from broker [BrokerEndPoint(0,<host1>,9093)] failed (kafka.client.ClientUtils$)
java.io.EOFException
at org.apache.kafka.common.network.NetworkReceive.readFromReadableChannel(NetworkReceive.java:99)
at kafka.network.BlockingChannel.readCompletely(BlockingChannel.scala:140)
at kafka.network.BlockingChannel.receive(BlockingChannel.scala:131)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.liftedTree1$1(SyncProducer.scala:84)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.kafka$producer$SyncProducer$doSend(SyncProducer.scala:81)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.send(SyncProducer.scala:126)
at kafka.client.ClientUtils$.fetchTopicMetadata(ClientUtils.scala:59)
at kafka.producer.BrokerPartitionInfo.updateInfo(BrokerPartitionInfo.scala:83)
at kafka.producer.BrokerPartitionInfo.getBrokerPartitionInfo(BrokerPartitionInfo.scala:50)
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler.kafka$producer$async$DefaultEventHandler$getPartitionListForTopic(DefaultEventHandler.scala:206)
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler$anonfun$partitionAndCollate$1.apply(DefaultEventHandler.scala:170)
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler$anonfun$partitionAndCollate$1.apply(DefaultEventHandler.scala:169)
at scala.collection.mutable.ResizableArray$class.foreach(ResizableArray.scala:59)
at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer.foreach(ArrayBuffer.scala:47)
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler.partitionAndCollate(DefaultEventHandler.scala:169)
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler.dispatchSerializedData(DefaultEventHandler.scala:101)
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler.handle(DefaultEventHandler.scala:78)
at kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread.tryToHandle(ProducerSendThread.scala:106)
at kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread$anonfun$processEvents$3.apply(ProducerSendThread.scala:89)
at kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread$anonfun$processEvents$3.apply(ProducerSendThread.scala:69)
at scala.collection.Iterator$class.foreach(Iterator.scala:727)
at scala.collection.AbstractIterator.foreach(Iterator.scala:1157)
at kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread.processEvents(ProducerSendThread.scala:68)
at kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread.run(ProducerSendThread.scala:46) 

Seems SSL is setup correctly, when i run the following command, i get expected result ->

<strong><em>openssl s_client -debug -connect host1:9093 -tls1</em></strong> 

Setting done in the server.properties (using Ambari) ->

listeners=PLAINTEXT://localhost:9092,SSL://localhost:9093 
advertised.listeners=PLAINTEXT://localhost:9092,SSL://localhost:9093 
ssl.truststore.location=/etc/kafka/truststore/kafka.server.truststore.jks
ssl.truststore.password=password
ssl.keystore.location=/etc/kafka/truststore//kafka.server.keystore.jks 
ssl.keystore.password=password
ssl.key.password=password 

These setting seem to be working on another environment, however - on this env (Prod), it seem to be giving the error shown above.

Any ideas on what need to be done to debug/fix the error ?

2 REPLIES 2

Expert Contributor
@Karan Alang

Can you please test the same command with one broker at a time? i.e. instead of giving all the brokers to the --broker-list it looks like only host1:9093 is having the issue from this:

Error message :[2017-12-2119:48:49,846] WARN Fetching topic metadata with correlation id 11for topics [Set(mmtest4)]from broker [BrokerEndPoint(0,<host1>,9093)] failed (kafka.client.ClientUtils$)

java.io.EOFException

Expert Contributor

@Venkata Sudheer Kumar M

here is the update on this ..

seems the script -> /usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/kafka/bin/kafka-producer-perf-test.sh has an issue in SSL mode,

it seems to not be able to recognize the security-protocol=SSL & the config file passed i.e. when the truststore, password is passed through the config file ..

instead, when i use the script -> /usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/kafka/bin/kafka-console-producer.sh, i'm able to produce the messages in SSL mode, by passing the security protocol & passing the same config files.

/usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/kafka/bin/kafka-console-producer.sh --topic mmtest1 --security-protocol SSL --broker-list host1:9093 --producer.config /usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/kafka/mirror-maker/client-ssl.properties

I'm using Kafka 0.10, Hortonworks 2.5.3

Any ideas on this ?