Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Kafka SSL error

Kafka SSL error

Expert Contributor

Hello All - I'm getting this error, when publishing messages to Kafka topic using SSL mode,

Command to publish messages :

/usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/kafka/bin/kafka-producer-perf-test.sh --messages 1000000 --message-size 1000 --topics mmtest4 \
--broker-list <host1>:9093,<host2>:9093,<host3>:9093, \
--threads 1 --compression-codec 3 --batch-size 10000 \
--security-protocol SSL --show-detailed-stats 

Error message :[2017-12-21 19:48:49,846] WARN Fetching topic metadata with correlation id 11 for topics [Set(mmtest4)] from broker [BrokerEndPoint(0,<host1>,9093)] failed (kafka.client.ClientUtils$)
java.io.EOFException
at org.apache.kafka.common.network.NetworkReceive.readFromReadableChannel(NetworkReceive.java:99)
at kafka.network.BlockingChannel.readCompletely(BlockingChannel.scala:140)
at kafka.network.BlockingChannel.receive(BlockingChannel.scala:131)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.liftedTree1$1(SyncProducer.scala:84)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.kafka$producer$SyncProducer$doSend(SyncProducer.scala:81)
at kafka.producer.SyncProducer.send(SyncProducer.scala:126)
at kafka.client.ClientUtils$.fetchTopicMetadata(ClientUtils.scala:59)
at kafka.producer.BrokerPartitionInfo.updateInfo(BrokerPartitionInfo.scala:83)
at kafka.producer.BrokerPartitionInfo.getBrokerPartitionInfo(BrokerPartitionInfo.scala:50)
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler.kafka$producer$async$DefaultEventHandler$getPartitionListForTopic(DefaultEventHandler.scala:206)
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler$anonfun$partitionAndCollate$1.apply(DefaultEventHandler.scala:170)
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler$anonfun$partitionAndCollate$1.apply(DefaultEventHandler.scala:169)
at scala.collection.mutable.ResizableArray$class.foreach(ResizableArray.scala:59)
at scala.collection.mutable.ArrayBuffer.foreach(ArrayBuffer.scala:47)
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler.partitionAndCollate(DefaultEventHandler.scala:169)
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler.dispatchSerializedData(DefaultEventHandler.scala:101)
at kafka.producer.async.DefaultEventHandler.handle(DefaultEventHandler.scala:78)
at kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread.tryToHandle(ProducerSendThread.scala:106)
at kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread$anonfun$processEvents$3.apply(ProducerSendThread.scala:89)
at kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread$anonfun$processEvents$3.apply(ProducerSendThread.scala:69)
at scala.collection.Iterator$class.foreach(Iterator.scala:727)
at scala.collection.AbstractIterator.foreach(Iterator.scala:1157)
at kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread.processEvents(ProducerSendThread.scala:68)
at kafka.producer.async.ProducerSendThread.run(ProducerSendThread.scala:46) 

Seems SSL is setup correctly, when i run the following command, i get expected result ->

<strong><em>openssl s_client -debug -connect host1:9093 -tls1</em></strong> 

Setting done in the server.properties (using Ambari) ->

listeners=PLAINTEXT://localhost:9092,SSL://localhost:9093 
advertised.listeners=PLAINTEXT://localhost:9092,SSL://localhost:9093 
ssl.truststore.location=/etc/kafka/truststore/kafka.server.truststore.jks
ssl.truststore.password=password
ssl.keystore.location=/etc/kafka/truststore//kafka.server.keystore.jks 
ssl.keystore.password=password
ssl.key.password=password 

These setting seem to be working on another environment, however - on this env (Prod), it seem to be giving the error shown above.

Any ideas on what need to be done to debug/fix the error ?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Kafka SSL error

Expert Contributor
@Karan Alang

Can you please test the same command with one broker at a time? i.e. instead of giving all the brokers to the --broker-list it looks like only host1:9093 is having the issue from this:

Error message :[2017-12-2119:48:49,846] WARN Fetching topic metadata with correlation id 11for topics [Set(mmtest4)]from broker [BrokerEndPoint(0,<host1>,9093)] failed (kafka.client.ClientUtils$)

java.io.EOFException
Highlighted

Re: Kafka SSL error

Expert Contributor

@Venkata Sudheer Kumar M

here is the update on this ..

seems the script -> /usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/kafka/bin/kafka-producer-perf-test.sh has an issue in SSL mode,

it seems to not be able to recognize the security-protocol=SSL & the config file passed i.e. when the truststore, password is passed through the config file ..

instead, when i use the script -> /usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/kafka/bin/kafka-console-producer.sh, i'm able to produce the messages in SSL mode, by passing the security protocol & passing the same config files.

/usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/kafka/bin/kafka-console-producer.sh --topic mmtest1 --security-protocol SSL --broker-list host1:9093 --producer.config /usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/kafka/mirror-maker/client-ssl.properties

I'm using Kafka 0.10, Hortonworks 2.5.3

Any ideas on this ?