Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Kafka alter topic requires broker restart to take effect

Explorer

Version Info:

Kafka Version: 0.8.2

Cloudera Enterprise: 5.4.7

Problem:

We have a topic with following configuration for cleanup:

min.cleanable.dirty.ratio=0.01,segment.ms=3600000,min.insync.replicas=2,cleanup.policy=compact

We changed the topic cleanup policy to delete by issuing an alter topic as follows:

kafka-topics --alter --zookeeper <zk quorum> --config retention.ms=2592000000 --delete-config min.cleanable.dirty.ratio --delete-config segment.ms --delete-config cleanup.policy --topic <topic_name>

This removed all those configs and config after alter looked like this:

retention.ms=2592000000,min.insync.replicas=2

Since default cleanup policy is delete, we just deleted it instead of changing to delete explicitly.

Our log cleaner thread runs every 5 min. (In cloudera manager config page). But these changes are not taking effect until i rolling restarted our Kafka broker.

I dont see any reference to restart in kafka alter documentation. I am not sure why it is not taking effect immediately.

Are there any other config values that govern (apart from cleaner thread schedule) that governs when and how cleanup policy takes effect ?

Thanks,

Vivek

3 REPLIES 3

Rising Star
Restart of kafka broker can make the change effective

Explorer

Thanks for the feedback. That's what we did and it applied the changes immediately.

New Contributor

Hi,

Is this still a requirement in 0.9.0.1 or 0.10 of kafka release?  We are currently on 0.9.0.1 but may upgrade to 0.10 soon. Restart is not a feasible option for us for altering retention period for a topic.

Regards

Swami