Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Kafka unexpected handshake request error

Super Collaborator

My issue look identical to https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/90687/kafka-gssapi-error.html , but I already checked that the broker is listening to the port 6667. I would like to get the command line producer working.

/usr/hdp/2.5.3.0-37/kafka/bin/kafka-console-producer.sh --broker-list cgihdp0.localnet:6667 --topic TSTRECV --security-protocol SASL_PLAINTEXT

And i am getting this error (repeatedly):

[2017-12-10 18:31:52,979] WARN Unexpected error from cgihdp0.localnet/10.30.152.13; closing connection (org.apache.kafka.common.network.Selector)
org.apache.kafka.common.errors.IllegalSaslStateException: Unexpected handshake request with client mechanism GSSAPI, enabled mechanisms are [GSSAPI]<br>

Up to here it seems to be the same issue as the one I listed above, but there the solution was a different broker port, while in my config, the port really is 6667:

netstat -tulpn | grep 6667
tcp        0      0 10.30.152.13:6667           0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      32355/java 
2 REPLIES 2

Contributor

1. Try with PLAINTEXTSASL instead of SASL_PLAINTEXT

2. Do you have rangers as well? please retry after restarting ranger service if you have

Super Collaborator

1. I tried PLAINTEXTSASL, but the error is the same as when I use SASL_PLAINTEXT

2. Yes, Ranger is used as well. So I restarted Ranger and tried again (PLAINTEXTSASL and SASL_PLAINTEXT), but with no difference in the error message.

Now I tried out of curiosity PLAIN (results in a Java exception "No enum constant org.apache.kafka.common.protocol.SecurityProtocol.PLAIN") and then also PLAINTEXT, which results in a different error message:

[2017-12-11 00:23:18,240] WARN Error while fetching metadata with correlation id 0 : {TSTRECV=TOPIC_AUTHORIZATION_FAILED} (org.apache.kafka.clients.NetworkClient)