Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Kerberos Logging

Expert Contributor

Hello,
How do I check the location where Kerberos is writing logs?
I checked the location which is mentioned in krb5.conf (default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log
admin_server = FILE:/var/log/kadmind.log) however the log files mentioned in this location are empty. Am I checking an incorrect location?

Secondly logs on Hue Server & KT renewer is not getting updated / current.

Any help/guidance is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@wert_1311 ,

Kerberos issue can be a hard thing to troubleshoot. I've done a LOT of troubleshooting involving Kerberos and I still find myself stumped at times.

What's in the krb5kdc.log rarely matters. The best way to find out what's going on is to look at the client log.

Enable debug logging for your application and ensure you also toggle debug mode for the Kerberos modules with -Dsun.security.krb5.debug=true for your application.

Look at and read the logs carefully, and google a lot 🙂 Kerberos debug logs are rarely intuitive.

If you can share some of that here it might help us find some clues as to what is going on. If you can't, I understand.

Good luck.

André

--
Was your question answered? Please take some time to click on "Accept as Solution" below this post.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Super Guru

@wert_1311 ,

Would you be able to share the stack traces from the application logs?

André

--
Was your question answered? Please take some time to click on "Accept as Solution" below this post.

Expert Contributor

@araujo 

Cant do that for securtiy / policy reasons, hope you understand.

Thanks 

Wert

Super Guru

@wert_1311 ,

Totally understandable.

What's your OS?

André

--

Super Guru

@wert_1311 ,

Kerberos issue can be a hard thing to troubleshoot. I've done a LOT of troubleshooting involving Kerberos and I still find myself stumped at times.

What's in the krb5kdc.log rarely matters. The best way to find out what's going on is to look at the client log.

Enable debug logging for your application and ensure you also toggle debug mode for the Kerberos modules with -Dsun.security.krb5.debug=true for your application.

Look at and read the logs carefully, and google a lot 🙂 Kerberos debug logs are rarely intuitive.

If you can share some of that here it might help us find some clues as to what is going on. If you can't, I understand.

Good luck.

André

--

Expert Contributor

Hi @araujo 

Appericate all your assistance 

Thanks

Wert

Super Guru

@wert_1311 ,

Any luck with this? Found the root cause?

André

--