Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

LDAP/AD users not appearing in Ranger

Expert Contributor

Attempting to set LDAP/AD users for Ranger (v1.2.0) following the docs (https://docs.cloudera.com/HDPDocuments/HDP3/HDP-3.1.4/configuring-ranger-authe-with-unix-ldap-ad/con...) and this older video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aZ9GBhCOhA), but when looking at the Ranger Users tab in the Ranger UI, seeing only the original Unix users. In the UI I see...

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Looking at the usersync logs, near the tail I see:

06 Dec 2019 14:21:51 INFO LdapUserGroupBuilder [UnixUserSyncThread] - LdapUserGroupBuilder initialization started
06 Dec 2019 14:21:51 INFO LdapUserGroupBuilder [UnixUserSyncThread] - LdapUserGroupBuilder initialization completed with -- ldapUrl: ldap://172.18.4.42:389, ldapBindDn: UID=hwldap,OU=Users,OU=HortonworksUsers,DC=ucera,DC=local, ldapBindPassword: ***** , ldapAuthenticationMechanism: simple, searchBase: dc=hadoop,dc=apache,dc=org, userSearchBase: [dc=ucera,dc=local], userSearchScope: 2, userObjectClass: user, userSearchFilter: (memberOf=UID=hwusers,OU=groups,OU=HortonworksUsers,DC=ucera,DC=local), extendedUserSearchFilter: (&(objectclass=user)(memberOf=UID=hwusers,OU=groups,OU=HortonworksUsers,DC=ucera,DC=local)), userNameAttribute: sAMAccountName, userSearchAttributes: [sAMAccountName, memberof], userGroupNameAttributeSet: [memberof], pagedResultsEnabled: true, pagedResultsSize: 500, groupSearchEnabled: false, groupSearchBase: [dc=ucera,dc=local], groupSearchScope: 2, groupObjectClass: group, groupSearchFilter: (CN=hwusers), extendedGroupSearchFilter: (&(objectclass=group)(CN=hwusers)(|(cn={0})(cn={1}))), extendedAllGroupsSearchFilter: (&(objectclass=group)(CN=hwusers)), groupMemberAttributeName: cn, groupNameAttribute: UID=hwusers,OU=groups,OU=HortonworksUsers,DC=ucera,DC=local, groupSearchAttributes: [UID=hwusers,OU=groups,OU=HortonworksUsers,DC=ucera,DC=local, cn], groupUserMapSyncEnabled: true, groupSearchFirstEnabled: false, userSearchEnabled: false, ldapReferral: ignore
06 Dec 2019 14:21:51 INFO UserGroupSync [UnixUserSyncThread] - Begin: initial load of user/group from source==>sink
06 Dec 2019 14:21:51 INFO LdapUserGroupBuilder [UnixUserSyncThread] - LDAPUserGroupBuilder updateSink started
06 Dec 2019 14:21:51 INFO LdapUserGroupBuilder [UnixUserSyncThread] - Performing user search first
06 Dec 2019 14:21:51 ERROR LdapUserGroupBuilder [UnixUserSyncThread] - LDAPUserGroupBuilder.getUsers() failed with exception: javax.naming.AuthenticationException: [LDAP: error code 49 - 80090308: LdapErr: DSID-0C09042F, comment: AcceptSecurityContext error, data 52e, v2580]; remaining name 'dc=ucera,dc=local'
06 Dec 2019 14:21:51 INFO LdapUserGroupBuilder [UnixUserSyncThread] - LDAPUserGroupBuilder.getUsers() user count: 0
06 Dec 2019 14:21:51 INFO UserGroupSync [UnixUserSyncThread] - End: initial load of user/group from source==>sink

So it seems like Ranger is trying to use AD, encountering an error, and falling back to Unix based users.

Did see this article (https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Community-Articles/Ranger-Ldap-Integration/ta-p/245494), but already have the cluster nodes linked to AD via SSSD, so would think the LDAP/AD sync should already be configured on the nodes and that Ranger should be able to use AD once the configs where entered.

Any idea what is going on here? Any further debugging tips or information (very unfamiliar with AD/LDAP admin stuff)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Appears to have been able to sync AD users after changing the bing user path to:

CN=hwldap,OU=Users,OU=HortonworksUsers,DC=ucera,DC=local

as opposed to using the "uid" entry key.

IDK why this would make a difference, but seems to have worked. Would anyone with more AD experience have an idea why (note that when I look at the attributes for this entry in our AD both the CN and UID attributes are present)?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Guru

Doing a quick search for "LDAP Error 49":

LDAP Error 49 implies an authentication failure .... Typically, the Distinguished Name (DN) or the password is invalid...

I typically go through syncing LDAP users with Ambari, to discover all of the correct LDAP Settings.  Once this is compete, only then do I tackle deeper LDAP integration with Ranger.

Expert Contributor

Expert Contributor

Appears to have been able to sync AD users after changing the bing user path to:

CN=hwldap,OU=Users,OU=HortonworksUsers,DC=ucera,DC=local

as opposed to using the "uid" entry key.

IDK why this would make a difference, but seems to have worked. Would anyone with more AD experience have an idea why (note that when I look at the attributes for this entry in our AD both the CN and UID attributes are present)?

Expert Contributor

From the Ranger email list, this is another bit of information that I found helpful:

----------

I’ve configured ranger using the following approach to control who must be synced with AD. Only users belonging to groups inside a specific OU will be synced.

1. I’ve created the OU  OU=ArthurAmericasGroups,OU=Security Groups,OU=Groups,OU=SHARED,OU=Brazil,DC=domain,DC=com
  2. Create a group called R2Users inside that OU. I put all desired sync users as its members. Also, you can put other groups as its member.  And, you can create other groups like R2TEAM as well. Remember to update this property ranger.usersync.ldap.user.searchfilter to include more than one.
  3. I’ve configured ranger to sync groups before users.

Here is the configuration.

in COMMON CONFIGS

Label

Property

Value

LDAP/AD URL

ranger.usersync.ldap.url

ldap://myacticedirectoryserver.domain.com:389

Bind User

ranger.usersync.ldap.binddn

CN=LDAP_AD_ACCOUNT,OU=Service Accounts,OU=LCB,OU=Brazil,DC=domain,DC=com

Bind User Password

ranger.usersync.ldap.ldapbindpassword

LDAP_AD_ACCOUNT user’s password

Inclemetal Sync

ranger.usersync.ldap.deltasync

Yes

Enable LDAP STARTTLS

ranger.usersync.ldap.starttls

No

GROUP CONFIGS

Label

Property

Value

Enable Group Sync

ranger.usersync.group.searchenable

Yes

Group Member Attribute

ranger.usersync.group.memberattributename

Group Name Attribute

ranger.usersync.group.nameattribute

Cn

Group Object Class

ranger.usersync.group.objectclass

Group

Group Search Base

ranger.usersync.group.searchbase

OU=ArthurAmericasGroups,OU=Security Groups,OU=Groups,OU=SHARED,OU=Brazil,DC=domain,DC=com

Group Search Filter

ranger.usersync.group.searchfilter

Enable Group Search First

ranger.usersync.group.search.first.enabled

Yes

Sync Nested Groups

is_nested_groupsync_enabled

Yes

Group Hierarchy Levels

ranger.usersync.ldap.grouphierarchylevels

USER CONFIGS

Label

Property

Value

Username Attribute

ranger.usersync.ldap.user.nameatributte

sAMAccountName

User Object Class

ranger.usersync.ldap.objectclass

User

User Search Base

ranger.usersync.ldap.searchbase

DC=domain,DC=com

User Search Filter

ranger.usersync.ldap.user.searchfilter

(memberOf=CN=R2Users,OU=ArthurAmericasGroups,OU=Security Groups,OU=Groups,OU=SHARED,OU=Brazil,DC=domain,DC=com)

User Search Scope

ranger.usersync.ldap.user.searchscope

Sub

User Group Name Attribute

ranger.usersync.ldap.groupnameattribute

sAMAccountName

Group User Map Sync

ranger.usersync.group.usermapsyncenabled

Yes

Enable User Search

ranger.usersync.user.searchenabled

Yes