Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

LLAP Application

Explorer

Hi,

I've been trying to set up a small cluster using HDP 2.5 on OL 7.2 with the purpose of running an academic project in Hive and after some days cleaning errors and alerts I still have one that I can't get rid of.

HiveServer2 Interactive reports the following alert:

Service - Hive

Alert Definition Name: LLAP Application

Response: The application reported a 'NOT RUNNING' state.

Can please someone point me into the direction I should be looking?

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Just to give some closure and possibly help someone that may have the same problem...

I was able to start the HiveServer2 Interactive after removing and adding the service again, but I always had the error regarding the LLAP Application. This error went way though when I also installed the role of NodeManager in the same node where all the Hive services are located. If it is related or not I do not know...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Master Mentor

Start with providing logs for Ambari and hive

Explorer

Hi Artem,

Thank you very much for your attention.

I've attached the output shown in the Ambari fronted. Which other files can be useful?hs2.txt

Master Mentor

you have to reinstall LLAP, it looks you didn't deploy it correctly. Alternatively, take a look at our cloud offerings, we have LLAP on demand clusters via Hortonworks Cloud for AWS http://hortonworks.com/blog/quickly-launch-hortonworks-data-platform-amazon-web-services/. Additionally our newest Sandbox 2.5 includes Hive LLAP, perhaps your small project can start on Sandbox and when you're comfortable with HDP you can deploy a cluster?

2016-10-02 15:36:40,200 - LLAP app 'llap0' deployment unsuccessful.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/hive_server_interactive.py", line 535, in <module>
    HiveServerInteractive().execute()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/script/script.py", line 280, in execute
    method(env)
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/scripts/hive_server_interactive.py", line 123, in start
    raise Fail("Skipping START of Hive Server Interactive since LLAP app couldn't be STARTED.")
resource_management.core.exceptions.Fail: Skipping START of Hive Server Interactive since LLAP app couldn't be STARTED.

Explorer

First of all, again my sincere thanks for your time looking into this.

My small project (it's for my master thesis) is about comparing a transformation process in a RDBMS against the same process in a Hadoop cluster. I decided to go for HDP 2.5 since I'm completely new in Hortonworks while I already used Cloudera. If I'll still have time I'll use it again to compare Hive against Impala on my specific problem.

I'll also want to add more DataNodes and see how performance is improved. I didn't go for the sandbox because installing something you don't know is always a learning challenge. Of course I'm aware of my limitations and that's why after many attempts I decided to come here for help.

To my project the Interactive Hive Server is not very important since I'm not looking for fast replies to ad hoc selects, even though I'm curious about the results.

For now I've disabled the Interactive Server and everything is running well. When you suggest me to reinstall LLAP, is it as simple as activating again the Interactive Server or so I need to go and manually install the component?

Regarding the Cloud option, maybe when I have all the project implemented and I'll need to do the scalability tests.

Again, thank you very much for your time.

Explorer

Just to give some closure and possibly help someone that may have the same problem...

I was able to start the HiveServer2 Interactive after removing and adding the service again, but I always had the error regarding the LLAP Application. This error went way though when I also installed the role of NodeManager in the same node where all the Hive services are located. If it is related or not I do not know...

Expert Contributor

@Void Messiah -- a basic question, how did you uninstall HiveServer2 Interactive ?

Through Ambari ?

Pls. let me know, i'm facing similar issue. Thanks!