Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Link to download HDF 3.3.0 binaries for SLES 12 SP3

Explorer

Hi Experts,

Can you please share me the link to download binaries for HDF version 3.3.0 and HDF Management pack version 3.3.0 for SLES 12 SP3 ?

Support matrix always says SLES 12 SP3 is supported with HDF 3.3.0. But if you open release notes of HDF 3.3.0, i dont see any option to download the HDF and HDF management pack for SLES 12 SP3.  Release Notes contains link to download for SLES 12 SP1 only.

Can you please share me the link to download binaries for HDF version 3.3.0 and HDF Management pack version 3.3.0 for SLES 12 SP3 ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @mhchethan ,

I have reached out to Product Management internally and the binaries for SLES12 SP1 can be used for SP3 too. Raised a jira internally, so our doc would reflect this in the future.

Please let us know if you need any further information!

Thank you:

Ferenc

Ferenc Erdelyi, Technical Solutions Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hello @mhchethan ,

all the binaries now behind a paywall. For more details, please read this reply.

In case you would like to trial the product, please consider downloading our sandbox release.

Please let us know if we addressed your enquiry!

Thank you:
Ferenc

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Explorer

Hello @Bender 

I will not agree to your solution. 

The reason is,  As per cloudera documentation it says - "Starting with the Ambari 2.7.5 release, access to Ambari repositories requires authentication. To access the binaries, you must first have the required authentication credentials (username and password)."

https://docs.cloudera.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.7.5.0/bk_ambari-installation/content/access_ambari_p...

So, its very clear that cost to pay for binaries are from Ambari 2.7.5 and later release only. 

What i'm asking in this post is, the link to download the "HDF 3.3.0 binaries for SLES 12 SP3" 

Note: Support matrix always says SLES 12 SP3 is supported with HDF 3.3.0. But if you open release notes of HDF 3.3.0, i dont see any option to download the HDF and HDF management pack for SLES 12 SP3.  Release Notes contains link to download for SLES 12 SP1 only.

If you go through the support matrix, it says "AMBARI 2.7.3 is the last version that is supported/compatible with HDF 3.3.0" which means there is no need to pay for downloading binaries for HDF 3.3.0 and as well as binaries for AMBARI 2.7.3. Hope my understanding is clear !!

Thanks

Hello @mhchethan ,

thank you for sharing your concerns with us.

All the source code is reachable, however the binaries are moved behind a paywall. I understand that the wording of the sentence might be interpreted in a way as you described.

In this report under page 451. there is a more clear explanation:

"Cloudera notes its full commitment to open source and will continue to follow the practice of making contributions to the upstream source first, including to any new open source projects. Access to binaries, however, will only be available from Cloudera and will require a subscription agreement with the company to access, which is a departure from how it previously distributed its binaries. The reason for putting binaries behind a paywall is that it provides some level of protection for the vendor. The binaries contain Cloudera-specific IP that turns the many disparate open source projects into an enterprise-grade functioning system."

Hope it helps!

Best regards:

Ferenc

Explorer

Hi @Bender 

I still not convinced. If that is the case then why binaries of HDF 3.3.0 of SLES SP1 is still available for public  but not moved to paywall? In the Release notes of HDF 3.3.0 why SLES SP3 link is not provided for public ? 

Considering same version of HDF but only differences here is OS version 

Refer here:

https://docs.cloudera.com/HDPDocuments/HDF3/HDF-3.3.0/release-notes/content/hdf_repository_locations...

Table 3. SLES 12 HDF repository & additional download locations

I can only see binaries for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) v12 SP1 but not SLES V12 SP3 why ?

Hello @mhchethan ,

good point, let me check internally.

Thank you:
Ferenc

Explorer

Thanks @Bender 

I will wait for your response

Hello @mhchethan ,

I have reached out to Product Management internally and the binaries for SLES12 SP1 can be used for SP3 too. Raised a jira internally, so our doc would reflect this in the future.

Please let us know if you need any further information!

Thank you:

Ferenc

Explorer

Great ! Thank you @Bender It would be good if you can share the JIRA  for reference and close this thread

Hello @mhchethan ,

it is an internal jira. For future reference it is the DOCS-6740 [HDF3.3.0 SLES12SP3 download location is not shown].

Thank you for confirming you have all the information you need. You can close the thread by pressing "Accept as Solution" button under the message that you consider that answered your enquiry, please.

Best regards:

Ferenc