Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

NIFI Installation: keep getting "Apache NiFi is not running"

Contributor

Hello all,

I downloaded NIFI on a linux ec2 node. I set the JAVA_HOME and am trying to run as su. I am running the command ./nifi.sh run. I do not see any error messages on nifi-app.log or nifi-bootstrap.log but when I check status I keep getting "Apacha Nifi not running". Am I missing some basic check here? One more issue: nifi-user.log file stays at 0 KB (doesn't get updated).

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

I am seeing that nifi is trying to start and is getting killed for some reason, don't see any logs that indicate an error.

Are you being patient enough? There is a lot of packages that get unpacked and setup when you run nifi for the first time. Also the entropy can sometimes block, so may try giving it some more time, around 15 minutes and see if it comes up. I am just hoping you are not terminating it too early.

If that is not the case, what kind of ec2 are you using, how much memory, disk space and cores?

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Super Collaborator

@Ranjit S can you confirm nothing else is running on port 8080. This is port used by nifi for web-ui. You can look into logs/nifi-bootstrap.log and logs/nifi-app.log and see if there are any errors.

Super Collaborator

if you have some other process running on port 8080, you can change nifi to use a different port by changing the value in conf/nifi.properties. replace 8080 with whatever port you want.

Contributor

@Karthik Narayanan

I am not sure if my previous reply got posted. I think it got lost. My 8080 is not in use. I ran netstat -pan and did not get any reference of 8080 in my output. I also tried changing port to 9090 but no luck. The log files don't contain any error either. The file: nifi-user.log stays at 0KB though. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Super Collaborator

@Ranjit S what about nifi-bootstrap.log and nifi-app.log can you check that. Also, it could be possible you may getting stuck in the java entropy issue. In your conf/bootstrap.conf file add the following line .

java.arg.15=-Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/./urandom

Try starting nifi now.

Contributor

@Karthik Narayanan nifi-bootstrap.log and nifi.app.log do not show any error. I added the java.arg.15 line but I still get the same issue.

Expert Contributor

@Ranjit S I would recommend using ./nifi.sh start, rather than ./nifi.sh run and see if that works out for you. You can then stop it by running "nifi.sh stop".

Contributor

@mpayne I tried running nifi using ./nifi.sh start and after few minutes tries ./nifi.sh status and I still get the same result that nifi is not running.

Super Collaborator

@Ranjit S That is strange.... can you show us your directory structure, a screenshot of it. Also make sure you downloaded the full tar and that it was not corrupted. I should see something in nifi-bootstrap.log at least.

Expert Contributor

I agree - that would be useful. Any chance that there are permissions issues at play here? The user running NiFi will need write permissions to the $NIFI_HOME directory and all subdirectories.