Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

NameNode keeps going down

NameNode keeps going down

New Contributor

Hi all,

I am having a problem with the NameNode status ambari shows. The following points are verifiable in the system: - The NameNode keeps going down a few seconds after I start it through ambari (it looks like it never really goes up, but the start process run successfully);

- Despite being DOWN according to ambari, if I run JPS in the server the NameNode is hosted it shows that the service is running:

[hdfs@RHTPINEC008 ~]$ jps
39395 NameNode
4463 Jps

and I can access NameNode UI properly;

- I already restarted both the namenode and ambari-agent the manually but the behavior keeps the same;

- This problem started after some HBase/Phoenix heavy queries that caused the namenode to go down (not sure if this is actually related but the exact same configurations were working well before this episode);

- I've been digging for some hours and I am not being able to find error details in the namenode logs nor in the ambari-agent logs that allows me to understand the problem;

I am using hdp 2.4.0 and no HA options.

Can someone help in this?

Thanks in advance

28 REPLIES 28

Re: NameNode keeps going down

Can you please do

ps -ef | grep namenode

On the cluster, and see what all processes comes back. It looks like there is a Namenode process already running, and when you try to start that again it fails to start another one (which is the correct behavior).

I will recommend to stop all the processes returned by the above command, and then restarting the Namenode again.

Highlighted

New Contributor

Hi Namit,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I can run the command:

[nosuser@RHTPINEC008 ~]$ ps -ef | grep namenode
nosuser   7201  6867  0 16:01 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto namenode
hdfs     39395     1  5 May31 ?        04:01:49 /usr/jdk64/jdk1.8.0_60/bin/java -Dproc_namenode -Xmx1024m -Dhdp.version=2.4.0.0-169 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dhdp.version= -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dhdp.version= -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dhadoop.log.dir=/var/log/hadoop/hdfs -Dhadoop.log.file=hadoop.log -Dhadoop.home.dir=/usr/hdp/2.4.0.0-169/hadoop -Dhadoop.id.str=hdfs -Dhadoop.root.logger=INFO,console -Djava.library.path=:/usr/hdp/2.4.0.0-169/hadoop/lib/native/Linux-amd64-64:/usr/hdp/2.4.0.0-169/hadoop/lib/native -Dhadoop.policy.file=hadoop-policy.xml -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dhdp.version=2.4.0.0-169 -Dhadoop.log.dir=/var/log/hadoop/hdfs -Dhadoop.log.file=hadoop-hdfs-namenode-RHTPINEC008.corporativo.pt.log -Dhadoop.home.dir=/usr/hdp/2.4.0.0-169/hadoop -Dhadoop.id.str=hdfs -Dhadoop.root.logger=INFO,RFA -Djava.library.path=:/usr/hdp/2.4.0.0-169/hadoop/lib/native/Linux-amd64-64:/usr/hdp/2.4.0.0-169/hadoop/lib/native:/usr/hdp/2.4.0.0-169/hadoop/lib/native/Linux-amd64-64:/usr/hdp/2.4.0.0-169/hadoop/lib/native -Dhadoop.policy.file=hadoop-policy.xml -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -server -XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:ErrorFile=/var/log/hadoop/hdfs/hs_err_pid%p.log -XX:NewSize=512m -XX:MaxNewSize=512m -Xloggc:/var/log/hadoop/hdfs/gc.log-201705311529 -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -Dhadoop.security.logger=INFO,DRFAS -Dhdfs.audit.logger=INFO,DRFAAUDIT -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError="/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-hdfs-namenode/bin/kill-name-node" -Dorg.mortbay.jetty.Request.maxFormContentSize=-1 -server -XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:ErrorFile=/var/log/hadoop/hdfs/hs_err_pid%p.log -XX:NewSize=512m -XX:MaxNewSize=512m -Xloggc:/var/log/hadoop/hdfs/gc.log-201705311529 -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -Dhadoop.security.logger=INFO,DRFAS -Dhdfs.audit.logger=INFO,DRFAAUDIT -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError="/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-hdfs-namenode/bin/kill-name-node" -Dorg.mortbay.jetty.Request.maxFormContentSize=-1 -server -XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:ErrorFile=/var/log/hadoop/hdfs/hs_err_pid%p.log -XX:NewSize=512m -XX:MaxNewSize=512m -Xloggc:/var/log/hadoop/hdfs/gc.log-201705311529 -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -Dhadoop.security.logger=INFO,DRFAS -Dhdfs.audit.logger=INFO,DRFAAUDIT -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError="/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-hdfs-namenode/bin/kill-name-node" -Dorg.mortbay.jetty.Request.maxFormContentSize=-1 -Dhadoop.security.logger=INFO,RFAS org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode

As you suggested I killed the process :

[nosuser@RHTPINEC008 ~]$ sudo kill -9 39395

and started it again through Ambari, which took a while but ended successfuly:

15970-namenode-start-issue.png

A few seconds later the NameNode went down again in the Ambari interface, however I am still able to run:

[hdfs@RHTPINEC008 ~]$ jps
13494 Jps
9832 NameNode

Any ideas?

Could it be the ambari server or agent having problems collecting namenode status?

Thanks

namenode-start-issue.png

New Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot Me too getting same error. Could you please suggest?

Mentor

@Subramanian Govindasamy

Can you share the NameNode error log?

New Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot

Services running in the server but from ambari , it shows and GC logs show following errors. Could you please check?

2018-05-04T06:39:20.038-0400: 130.745: [GC (Allocation Failure) 2018-05-04T06:39:20.038-0400: 130.745: [ParNew: 152348K->17472K(157248K), 0.0294015 secs] 152348K->30350K(506816K), 0.0294737 secs] [Times: user=0.15 sys=0.03, real=0.03 secs]

New Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot

While starting the namenode with wedhdfs enabled, getting following errors

File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/libraries/providers/hdfs_resource.py", line 250, in _run_command
raise WebHDFSCallException(err_msg, result_dict)
resource_management.libraries.providers.hdfs_resource.WebHDFSCallException: Execution of 'curl -sS -L -w '%{http_code}' -X GET 'http://node1.test.co:50070/webhdfs/v1/tmp?op=GETFILESTATUS&user.name=thdfs@test.co'' returned status_code=400.
{
"RemoteException": {
"exception": "IllegalArgumentException",
"javaClassName": "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException",
"message": "Invalid value for webhdfs parameter \"user.name\": Invalid value: \"thdfs@test.co\" does not belong to the domain ^[A-Za-z_][A-Za-z0-9._-]*[$]?$"
}
}

Mentor

@Subramanian Govindasamy

Seem you have problems with your Auth-to-local Rules please validate?

""message": "Invalid value for webhdfs parameter"

The conclusion is: the username used with the query is checked against a regular expression and, if not validated, the above exception is returned. The default regular expression being:

^[A-Za-z_][A-Za-z0-9._-]*[$]?$

Can you start the namenode manually,

su -l hdfs -c "/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-hdfs-namenode/../hadoop/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh start namenode"

Please revert

New Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot

Thank you . Let me validate the rules.

while starting the namenode manually ,please find the log

su thdfs@test.co -l -s /bin/bash -c 'ulimit -c unlimited ; /usr/hdp/2.6.4.0-91/hadoop/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh --config /usr/hdp/2.6.4.0-91/hadoop/conf start namenode'
starting namenode, logging to /var/log/hadoop/thdfs@test.co/hadoop-thdfs@test.co-namenode-node1.test.co.out
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option PermSize=128m; support was removed in 8.0
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option PermSize=128m; support was removed in 8.0
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring option MaxPermSize=256m; support was removed in 8.0

ulimit -a for user thdfs@test.co
core file size (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
scheduling priority (-e) 0
file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals (-i) 127967
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 64
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files (-n) 1024
pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority (-r) 0
stack size (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes (-u) 4096
virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks (-x) unlimited

New Contributor

@Geoffrey Shelton Okot

also services going to installed state automatically after startup. Could you please guide me ?

service component DATANODE of service HDFS of cluster TSTHDPCLST has changed from STARTED to INSTALLED at host test.co according to STATUS_COMMAND report