Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Need Spark Thrift Server Design because STS hang after started about 2 hours

Re: Need Spark Thrift Server Design because STS hang after started about 2 hours

Expert Contributor

@anobi do Did you try setting spark.sql.thriftServer.incrementalCollect true?

I am not running multiple queries at a time, so maybe because of that I'm not seeing this, Try decreasing number of simultaneous sessions after setting incremental to true.

Re: Need Spark Thrift Server Design because STS hang after started about 2 hours

Explorer

Yes @tsharma. I already set it. I have about 20 people use STS to query data everyday. Do you know how to restrict number of simultaneous sessions or restrict maximum memory used per query?

Expert Contributor

Good to hear that anobi. I could not find how to restrict sessions to a particular value.

However if you set this spark.sql.hive.thriftServer.singleSession true.

Only 1 session can be run. This doesn't scale very well.

Please run spark.conf.getAll(), you may find other properties related to num sessions.

Also please accept/upvote any answers if they helped you in concept.

Thank You

Explorer

Thank you very much for your response @tsharma. I do not use Ambari for STS. I will follow your suggestions

Explorer

Hi @tsharma,

Thank you very much for your support. I changed memory to -Xmx=64g and it seems to resolved my issue. My STS is running about 27 hours for now. I will keep monitoring too see if the problem is resolved permanently. I used to setup -Xmx=25G, then 40G then 56G but STS run for a while and hang. I still do NOT know how to calculate memory needed for STS. I have about 20 user simultaneous.