Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

NiFi - Capture error message in Bulletin

Is there a way to capture error messages that appear in Bulletin for more than 5 minutes ? After an error, I want to log detail error message from Bulletin in a permanent log, so I can look up error later. Currently Bulletin error messages provide most amount of detail on error (including detail logs) but they rollover every 5 minutes.

Is there another way of capturing detail error messages ?

12 REPLIES 12

Super Mentor

Bulletins are intended to be short lived within the UI. The same error messages are also being reported to the nifi-app.log where the length of time they are preserved is based your configuration of the NiFi instance's logback.xml file. There should be no difference between the detail in the bulletin and the detail in the nifi-app.log.

Rising Star

Even though nifi-app.log contains every log, the bulletin message is small and precise. The idea is to capture the error message from bulletin and store it in table/file for auditing purposes. We have new versions since a year, hoping we have some way for this. Please share if there is any way to capture the error messages from the bulletin.

Super Mentor

@spdvnz

My suggestion here would be to handle this via the "SiteToSiteBulletinReportingTask".

91663-screen-shot-2018-10-10-at-81007-am.png

-

You can build a dataflow to receive these bulletin events, manipulate them as you want and store them in a location of your choice for your auditing needs.

-

Thank you,

Matt

-

If you found this answer addressed your question, please take a moment to login in and click the "ACCEPT" link.

To add to this - a better way to act on important errors is to configure the logging subsystem to additionally send specific error categories to your destination of choice (e.g. active notification vs passive parsing of logs). NiFi is leveraging a very flexible logback system (an evolution of log4j). The best part - changes to the $NIFI_HOME/conf/logback.xml configuration file do not require an instance restart, will be picked up within 30 seconds or less.

Thanks @Andrew Grande. Can you provide any example or point to any link on how this can be done

catch-bultins-error.xml

@Shishir Saxena

you can use thiis template it works

Explorer

@ibrahimadiattara I cannot upload your template dues to version issue . It gives me this error message

Error

org.apache.nifi.processors.attributes.UpdateAttribute is not known to this NiFi instance.

You msut change the version inside of the template

change this <version>1.2.0.3.0.1.1-5</version> by your version

This is my last version you can upload it

catch-bultin-version-01.xml