Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

NiFi Node going down after CFM installation. Bad gateway config?

Explorer

Hello! This is a very rudimentary request perhaps, so fair warning! However, recently I installed CFM and had NiFi working fine without NiFi Toolkit CA and NiFi Registry services.

I wanted to add LDAP authentication, so I removed the NiFi service, and then added the 3 services in the order that is recommended by the CFM 1.0.1 Documentation, and proceeded to configure the services for LDAP. Now, the NiFi Node fails to stay online. Everything else seems to be in order, but NiFi Node shuts off very quickly after it reports good health in SCM.

My first guess is that it could be an issue with Registry, because I am using only 1 CFM host, yet I have all 3 services running on the same, and additionally I am using the same host as the NiFi Gateway. I did not read anything about this in the documentation, but perhaps I've overlooked something simple due to my lack of experience. Did I mess something up by setting the Gateway as the same host as the NiFi node?

Any info you can offer to help me troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Mentor

@Cl0ck 

Anytime the NiFi process fails to start or shuts back down the reason should be output in either the nifi-bootsrap.log (if startup failed during bootstrap) or the nifi-app.log (shutdown because of some exception during loading of the main NiFi child process).

Start my looking at these logs for what the issue may be.

NiFi will fail to start if the service is already running.
so execute ps -ef|grep nifi to see if there may already be a some NiFi process still running.

There should have been no need to remove NiFi before going back and installing those additional services.

Having multiple services running on the same host should not be an issue as CFM has each of these services by default starting up on different ports.  Running other services on the same host as NiFi is not recommended due to resource contention.  But ok for just testing or playing around.

Hope this helps,

Matt

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rising Star

What does the nifi-bootstrap.log say?

Super Mentor

@Cl0ck 

Anytime the NiFi process fails to start or shuts back down the reason should be output in either the nifi-bootsrap.log (if startup failed during bootstrap) or the nifi-app.log (shutdown because of some exception during loading of the main NiFi child process).

Start my looking at these logs for what the issue may be.

NiFi will fail to start if the service is already running.
so execute ps -ef|grep nifi to see if there may already be a some NiFi process still running.

There should have been no need to remove NiFi before going back and installing those additional services.

Having multiple services running on the same host should not be an issue as CFM has each of these services by default starting up on different ports.  Running other services on the same host as NiFi is not recommended due to resource contention.  But ok for just testing or playing around.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Explorer

Thanks so much! I've noted this for future issues. After trying everything I could, I ended up just reinstalling on a different host. I've got another (probably simple!) question for you though regarding NiFi. I've followed every step on the documentation trying to set up LDAP login via Active Directory user accounts, and even after selecting ldap as the auth method, connecting to the nifi webclient UI sends me right into the UI without entering any login credentials. I've been trying to figure out how to integrate LDAP login for the better part of a week now by following the Cloudera CFM 1.0.1 documentation.

Super Mentor

@Cl0ck 

Please start a new community post for your new question. 

Thank you,
Matt

Explorer

Will do, Thanks @MattWho. I actually didn't realize that NiFi can't be authenticated via HTTP until after putting many, many hours into trying to get it to work! I'm not sure if you're involved with writing the documentation for CFM or not, but it may be beneficial to make it more clear that LDAP Authentication via HTTP isn't possible. I'm on to setting up TLS now, but if I have more issues I will ask in community. Thanks so much for your help. I hope no one else spends as much time as I did trying to troubleshoot why auth wasn't working for HTTP! Derp...

Aloha 🙂