Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Nifi Epoch conversion not working?

Explorer

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on this, please.

having:

attribute 'epochdatetime' Value: '1545266262' and

using:

UpdateAttribute to create new variable 'converteddatetime' with

${epochdatetime:format("yyyy/MM/dd HH:mm:ss.SSS'Z'", "GMT")}

gives:

converteddatetime' Value: '1970/01/18 21:14:26.262Z'

instead of: December 20, 2018/12/20 12:37:42......

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Hi @A Sabatino,

I am not sure why you expect the date resulting from your epoch value. So from what I can see, your value is not what you expect, the conversion is fine.

In the API documentation (https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/expression-language-guide.html#dates) it is desribed, that the value ist interpreted in milliseconds from 1. January 1970 00:00:00 GMT. Now when interpreting '1 545 266 262', it results in something like 17.8 days. So a time on the 18. January 1970 seems to be the correct result. To me it appears as if you lost a factor of 1000 somewhere in your epoch value.

Regards
Harald

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Super Collaborator

Hi @A Sabatino,

I am not sure why you expect the date resulting from your epoch value. So from what I can see, your value is not what you expect, the conversion is fine.

In the API documentation (https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/expression-language-guide.html#dates) it is desribed, that the value ist interpreted in milliseconds from 1. January 1970 00:00:00 GMT. Now when interpreting '1 545 266 262', it results in something like 17.8 days. So a time on the 18. January 1970 seems to be the correct result. To me it appears as if you lost a factor of 1000 somewhere in your epoch value.

Regards
Harald

Explorer

Hi Harald

You are right - we passed in the epoch in seconds rather than milliseconds !

Many thanks

Regards

Aniello

Super Collaborator

Hi @A Sabatino,

thanks for the info. Would be great if you click on 'accept' for the answer. Helps everyone to see the issue is resolved and provides you and me with a reward in terms of reputation points 🙂

Regards
Harald

New Contributor

Hi @A Sabatino,
I am also facing same issue for 
Value: '1643667489'
Could you please share complete syntax for the epoch(1643667489) in second....

Community Manager

Hi @AshuGang as this is an older post, you would have a better chance of receiving a resolution by starting a new thread. This will also be an opportunity to provide details specific to your environment that could aid others in assisting you with a more accurate answer to your question. You can link this thread as a reference in your new post.

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community: