Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Nifi PutSFTP failed to rename dot file when "Outbound Policy = Batch Output" for a child processor group

Rising Star

My data flow starts from a single FlowFile produced by a Sqoop job, which then expands into multiple FlowFiles after executing the GetHDFSFileInfo Processor (based on the number of HDFS files). To capture all failure scenarios, I have created a Child processor group with the following processors

Input Port --> GetHDFSFileInfo --> RouteOnAttribute --> UpdateAttribute --> FetchHDFS --> PutSFTP --> ModifyBytes --> Output Port

Main Processor Group
--------------------
RouteOnAttribute --> Above mentioned Child Processor Group --> MergeContent --> downstream processors

The child processor group is configured with "FlowFile Concurrency = Single FlowFile Per Node" and "Outbound Policy = Batch Output" to ensure that all fetched FlowFiles are successfully processed (written to the SFTP server).

My GetHDFSFileInfo processor returns 20 HDFS files, and each execution successfully transfers 18 to 19 files to my SFTP server. However, during each execution, one or two file transfers fail in the PutSFTP Processor with the error message 'Failed to rename dot-file.' An error screenshot is attached below

Capture.JPG

I am facing this issue only when the child processor is configured with "Outbound Policy = Batch Output".
If we try without child processor group, then also it is working.

Could you please help to fix the issue with putSFTP processor.

This is in continuation with the solution provided in the thread https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Support-Questions/How-to-convert-merge-Many-flow-files-to-single-f...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Mentor

@s198 

The two most common scenarios for this type of failure are:
1. File already exists with same name when trying to rename.  Typically resolved by using an update attribute when a failure exists to modify the filename.  Perhaps use the nextInt NiFi expression Language function to add an incremental number to filename or in your case modify the time by adding a few milliseconds to it.
2. Some process is consuming the dot (.) filename before the putSFTP processor has renamed it.  This requires modifying the downstream process to ignore dot files.

While it is great that run duration and run schedule increases appear to resolve this issue, I think you are dealing will a millisecond raise condition and these two options will not always guarantee success here.  Best option is to programmatically deal with the failures with a filename attribute modification or change who you are uniquely naming your files if possible.

Please help our community thrive. If you found any of the suggestions/solutions provided helped you with solving your issue or answering your question, please take a moment to login and click "Accept as Solution" on one or more of them that helped.

Thank you,
Matt

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Rising Star
1) Initially, I faced the "NiFi PutSFTP failed to rename dot file issue" only when the child processor was configured with "Outbound Policy = Batch Output". It worked without the child processor group.
2) I modified the PutSFTP failure retry attempt to 3, and it fixed the issue.
3) Later, I introduced a RouteOnAttribute after the FetchHDFS processor for some internal logic implementation, and the PutSFTP error started again. 
4) This time, I updated the "Run Schedule" of the PutSFTP processor from 0Sec to 3 Sec, and it again fixed the issue. 
5) I have a requirement to transfer stats of each file (with file name, row count, file size) etc. So, I introduced one more PutSFTP processor, and the issue popped up again. 
6) Finally, I made the following changes to both of my PutSFTP processors:
       a) Added PutSFTP failure retry attempt to 3.
       b) Modified the "Run Schedule" of the first PutSFTP Processor to "7 Sec".
       c) Modified the "Run Schedule" of the second PutSFTP Processor to "10 Sec".

Now it is working fine. Are we getting this issue because of 20 flowfiles processing at a time ? Could you please suggest if this is the right way to fix the "NiFi PutSFTP failed to rename dot file issue"?

Master Guru

It looks like a timing or multiple components accessing the same sftp server.  sFTP is very slow and nonthreaded and timing of accessing them can be tricky.

I recommend setting only 1 PutSFTP instance (dont run on cluster and don't have more than one post at once).

We need to see logs and know operating system, java version, NiFi version and some error details.   File system type ,  sftp server version and the type and size of the HDFS files.

Community Manager

@TimothySpann @steven-matison @SAMSAL , would you be able to help @s198 please? 

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Rising Star

Hi @TimothySpann 

Please find below the requested info.

Operating system: 
                Linux
Java version : 
            Nifi Server:
                      openjdk version "11.0.22" 2024-01-16 LTS
                      OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Red_Hat-11.0.22.0.7-1) (build 11.0.22+7-LTS)
                     OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (Red_Hat-11.0.22.0.7-1) (build 11.0.22+7-LTS, mixed mode, sharing)

SFTP Server:
                     openjdk version "1.8.0_402"
                        OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_402-b06)
                     OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.402-b06, mixed mode)

NiFi version:   
                      Cloudera Flow Management (CFM) 2.1.5.1027
                       1.18.0.2.1.5.1027-2 built 02/09/2023 22:16:12 CST
                      Tagged nifi-1.18.0-RC4