Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Nifi misses parameter context inheritance after restart

New Contributor

Hello Team, 

We are on Apache nifi 1.16.0 and openjdk 11.0.20, using parameter contexts to store sensitive parameters for the components of the flow. We have 3 issues when using parameter contexts 

1. Issue when updating parameter contexts, it fails to update parameter context and gives below error after I click on Apply. However, when I click on OK and refer back to parameters they are updated sometimes or depends on the stage it fails parameters not updated. I thought its worth mentioning that updating parameter contexts fails at different stages i.e  disabling controller services/Re-enabling effected controller services...

error.png

2. Inheritance for parameter contexts misses after Nifi restart. Some process groups couldn't read parameters after restart. When checked inheritance for the parameter context, observed few parameters contexts are not inherited. So, we had to manually map the available parameter contexts to be inherited every time after restart. 

3. Sometimes reference to the parameter context in the process group is lost and we need to add it again.

I am not sure, if issue 1 &2 are related, any ideas for troublehooting will be helpfull. Didn't find any problem tickets filed for this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Mentor

@Chaitanya_Y 

Apache NiFi 1.16.0 is 2 years old at this point and there have been many bug fixes since that time specific to parameter contexts.  I recommend upgrading to the latest Apache NiFi 1.25.0 release. Some of the issues fixed are related to problems you have shared.

Parameter Context fixes since Apache NiFi 1.16.0 release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-10096?jql=project%20in%20(NIFI%2C%20NIFIREG)%20AND%20fixV...

If you found any of the suggestions/solutions provided helped you with your issue, please take a moment to login and click "Accept as Solution" on one or more of them that helped.

Thank you,
Matt

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Super Mentor

@Chaitanya_Y 

Apache NiFi 1.16.0 is 2 years old at this point and there have been many bug fixes since that time specific to parameter contexts.  I recommend upgrading to the latest Apache NiFi 1.25.0 release. Some of the issues fixed are related to problems you have shared.

Parameter Context fixes since Apache NiFi 1.16.0 release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-10096?jql=project%20in%20(NIFI%2C%20NIFIREG)%20AND%20fixV...

If you found any of the suggestions/solutions provided helped you with your issue, please take a moment to login and click "Accept as Solution" on one or more of them that helped.

Thank you,
Matt

New Contributor

@MattWho 

Thanks for the Reply! seems like upgrade is the solution here.

Nifi version 1.25 is recently released, I couldn't find  migration guidance , is it okay to upgrade ?

Super Mentor

@Chaitanya_Y 

I am not sure why the Apache NiFi Community did not release and migration guidance with Apache NiFi 1.25 release.   However, there are release notes that highlight notable changes:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Release+Notes#ReleaseNotes-Version1.25.0

You will want to read through all the migration guidance for every release between 1.16 and 1.25 to see if anything applies to your specific setup or dataflows.  Take not of any deprecated components you may be using currently and any components that were remove form the default release (removed does not mean gone, you can download those removed nars from central repository and add them to the 1.25.0. release if needed.

Thank you,
Matt

New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions @MattWho 

Community Manager

@Chaitanya_Y Has the reply helped resolve your issue? If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the solution, as it will make it easier for others to find the answer in the future.  Thanks.

Regards,

Diana Torres,
Community Moderator

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community: