Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

No binaries available in /usr/bin/

Explorer

Hi,

We've just finished a rather bumpy install of CM in Single User Mode (CDH5.5.1-1.cdh5.5.1.p0.11). Currently everything seems to be running fine in the Cloudera Manager interface. No errors, everything green. I can use Impala through Hue with no issues.

However, I've run into one issue: There are no binaries available in for instance /usr/bin. When trying to for example run impala-shell on one of the datanodes I get:

-bash: impala-shell: command not found

Does this have something to do with Single User mode, or has something gone wrong during installation?

Any solution as to get these binaries into place without a full reinstall? I've searched the docs but couldn't find anything of help..

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Collaborator

At first I'd make sure that there's no errors in the the agent log ie: # less /var/log/cloudera-scm-agent/cloudera-scm-agent.log

Also, when you issue the below command is it pointing to the right folder?

# alternatives --display impala-shell

> ... To specify the parcel directory, local parcel repository, add a parcel repository ...

that value is only for the .parcel files that CM Server downloads

Please modify your -agent/config.ini uncomment and set the value for the below property, do the same if you have issues on other nodes.

# vi /etc/cloudera-scm-agent/config.ini
# Parcel directory.  Unpacked parcels will be stored in this directory.
# Downloaded parcels will be stored in <parcel_dir>/../parcel-cache
# parcel_dir=/opt/cloudera/parcels

> Can I just symlink to CDH/bin?

That is one of Cloudera Agents [1] function - hard restart the agent will normally fix the alternative issues 

[1] Agent parse the parcel metadata and creates the alternatives link, see /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/meta/alternatives.json

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Master Collaborator

Is your CDH deployed using parcels or packages?

As for the binaries:

- packages: can you list your packages ie RHEL/Centos # rpm -qa | grep -i cdh (or grep -i impa)

- parcels: you should be able to find them under /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH

(CM should have symlink the necessary shell commands)

- Is it only impala-shell that is failing, have you tested hadoop, hive etc?

Can you link the documentation you've followed to perform the install. 

Explorer

Hi Michalis,

CDH has been deployed using parcels. You are right, they are available in cloudera/parcels/CDH/bin. Due to disk space limitations of the root device we've used another directory for parcel storage, which we've specified during installation (1.a.i. To specify the parcel directory, local parcel repository, add a parcel repository, or specify the properties of a proxy server through which parcels are downloaded, click the More Options button and do one or more of the following)

As far as documentation for the installation I've used: http://cloudera.com/documentation/enterprise/latest/topics/cm_ig_install_path_a.html?scroll=cmig_top...

Can I just symlink to CDH/bin?

For example something like sudo ln -s bindirectory/impala-shell /usr/bin/impala-shell or should I copy them to /usr/bin? Don't know what the installer normally does..

Master Collaborator

At first I'd make sure that there's no errors in the the agent log ie: # less /var/log/cloudera-scm-agent/cloudera-scm-agent.log

Also, when you issue the below command is it pointing to the right folder?

# alternatives --display impala-shell

> ... To specify the parcel directory, local parcel repository, add a parcel repository ...

that value is only for the .parcel files that CM Server downloads

Please modify your -agent/config.ini uncomment and set the value for the below property, do the same if you have issues on other nodes.

# vi /etc/cloudera-scm-agent/config.ini
# Parcel directory.  Unpacked parcels will be stored in this directory.
# Downloaded parcels will be stored in <parcel_dir>/../parcel-cache
# parcel_dir=/opt/cloudera/parcels

> Can I just symlink to CDH/bin?

That is one of Cloudera Agents [1] function - hard restart the agent will normally fix the alternative issues 

[1] Agent parse the parcel metadata and creates the alternatives link, see /opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH/meta/alternatives.json

Explorer

Hi Michalis,

Editing the cloudera-scm-agent/config.ini to point to the correct folder and hard_restarting the agents did the trick. Now all binaries are available in /usr/bin.

alternatives --display impala-shell points to the right folder. 

Thank you for your help 🙂