Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

NoSuchMethodError when submitting Spark jobs with CDH5.2 Spark App

Explorer

I downloaded the Quick Start VM with CDH 5.2.x   so that I could try out CDH 5.2 on VirtualBox.

I can run a Spark job using the command line, but I've been pretty frustrated trying to get a Spark job to run use the Spark app in Hue (http://quickstart.cloudera:8888/spark).

No matter what I try I get a NoSuchMethodError:

Your application has the following error(s):

{ "status": "ERROR", "result": { "errorClass": "java.lang.RuntimeException", "cause": "org.apache.spark.SparkContext$.$lessinit$greater$default$2()Lscala/collection/Map;", "stack": ["spark.jobserver.JobManagerActor.createContextFromConfig(JobManagerActor.scala:241)", "spark.jobserver.JobManagerActor$$anonfun$wrappedReceive$1.applyOrElse(JobManagerActor.scala:94)", "scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction$mcVL$sp.apply$mcVL$sp(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:33)", "scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction$mcVL$sp.apply(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:33)", "scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction$mcVL$sp.apply(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:25)", "ooyala.common.akka.ActorStack$$anonfun$receive$1.applyOrElse(ActorStack.scala:33)", "scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction$mcVL$sp.apply$mcVL$sp(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:33)", "scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction$mcVL$sp.apply(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:33)", "scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction$mcVL$sp.apply(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:25)", "ooyala.common.akka.Slf4jLogging$$anonfun$receive$1$$anonfun$applyOrElse$1.apply$mcV$sp(Slf4jLogging.scala:26)", "ooyala.common.akka.Slf4jLogging$class.ooyala$common$akka$Slf4jLogging$$withAkkaSourceLogging(Slf4jLogging.scala:35)", "ooyala.common.akka.Slf4jLogging$$anonfun$receive$1.applyOrElse(Slf4jLogging.scala:25)", "scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction$mcVL$sp.apply$mcVL$sp(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:33)", "scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction$mcVL$sp.apply(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:33)", "scala.runtime.AbstractPartialFunction$mcVL$sp.apply(AbstractPartialFunction.scala:25)", "ooyala.common.akka.ActorMetrics$$anonfun$receive$1.applyOrElse(ActorMetrics.scala:24)", "akka.actor.ActorCell.receiveMessage(ActorCell.scala:498)", "akka.actor.ActorCell.invoke(ActorCell.scala:456)", "akka.dispatch.Mailbox.processMailbox(Mailbox.scala:237)", "akka.dispatch.Mailbox.run(Mailbox.scala:219)", "akka.dispatch.ForkJoinExecutorConfigurator$AkkaForkJoinTask.exec(AbstractDispatcher.scala:386)", "scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:260)", "scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:1339)", "scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1979)", "scala.concurrent.forkjoin.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:107)"], "causingClass": "java.lang.NoSuchMethodError", "message": "java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.spark.SparkContext$.$lessinit$greater$default$2()Lscala/collection/Map;" } } (error 500)

I've attempted to build my own apps following some of the spark-jobserver guides and have followed the second half of http://gethue.com/get-started-with-spark-deploy-spark-server-and-compute-pi-from-your-web-browser/ to clone the spark-jobobserver examples and build them.

I find people complaining about something similar on the issues for spark-jobserver (https://github.com/ooyala/spark-jobserver/issues/29).  Those issues do seem pending still possibly...and the originator of the issue indicated it started failing when moving from spark 0.9.1 to 1.0, and the CDH 5.2 QuickStart VM I have DOES seem to have Spark 1.1.0, but I'm giving Cloudera the benefit of the doubt that they didn't do something like bump the version of Spark in this VM, making it incompatible with spark-jobserver which is used in Hue.

I would appreciate any guidance.  I'd like to get something working so I can start playing around with kicking off jobs and getting results from an external app with HTTP to the spark-jobserver.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Just to follow up, check out this thread (http://community.cloudera.com/t5/Apache-Hadoop-Concepts-and/spark-jobserver-and-spark-jobs-in-Hue-on... where I detail re-building the spark-jobserver and getting things to work.  So, it does look like the problem I encountered was due to the CDH5.2 QuickStart VM having a version of the spark-jobserver that was compiled against Spark 0.9.1 causing the error I encountered due to incompatibilities with Spark 1.1.0.

Thanks,

Chris

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Explorer

Couldn't find a way to edit my post...but I meant I didn't yet verify which version of Spark the spark-jobserver examples would be built by default.