Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

NoSuchMethodException when running %jdbc paragraph in Zeppelin

Expert Contributor

I installed the Hortonworks Data Platform 2.6 (still un-kerberized at the moment), which includes Zeppelin 0.7 and Spark 1.6.3.

Zeppelin seems to be prepared for Spark 2.x and Scala 2.11, so I had to remove and re-install a new Spark interpreter for my Spark version 1.6.3 and Scala 2.10. Therefore I took the following link: https://zeppelin.apache.org/docs/0.6.1/manual/interpreterinstallation.html#install-spark-interpreter...

After restarting the Zeppelin service via Ambari, I was able to run this paragraph (which didnt work before):

%spark
sc.version
===========================
res0: String = 1.6.3

Now I'm trying to use the %jdbc interpreter (part of the SAP Vora installation), just to do some select statements:

%jdbc
select * from sys.tables using com.sap.spark.engines
======================================================================================================
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TExecuteStatementReq.setQueryTimeout(J)V
 at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveStatement.runAsyncOnServer(HiveStatement.java:297)
 at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveStatement.execute(HiveStatement.java:241)
 at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:291)
 at org.apache.commons.dbcp2.DelegatingStatement.execute(DelegatingStatement.java:291)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.jdbc.JDBCInterpreter.executeSql(JDBCInterpreter.java:581)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.jdbc.JDBCInterpreter.interpret(JDBCInterpreter.java:692)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.LazyOpenInterpreter.interpret(LazyOpenInterpreter.java:97)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.interpreter.remote.RemoteInterpreterServer$InterpretJob.jobRun(RemoteInterpreterServer.java:490)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.Job.run(Job.java:175)
 at org.apache.zeppelin.scheduler.ParallelScheduler$JobRunner.run(ParallelScheduler.java:162)
 at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
 at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
 at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
 at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Here a screenshot of my JDBC interpreter settings:

16685-unbenannt.png

Also other selects (without the com.sap.spark.engines part) don't work for me, and I get the same exception!

Could it be a problem caused by incompatibilities of Hadoop tools? Or what could be the reason for the error message above? Is a dependency missing (if yes which)?

Thank you for each advice!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Ok, easy solution here: I took the hive-jdbc-<version>.jar file as dependency, but I have to take hive-jdbc-<version>-standalone.jar, so changing

/usr/hdp/current/hive-client/lib/hive-jdbc-1.2.1000.2.6.1.0-129.jar

into

/usr/hdp/2.6.1.0-129/hive2/jdbc/hive-jdbc-2.1.0.2.6.1.0-129-standalone.jar

did it for me!

You can find the hive-jdbc-standalone.jar with

find / -name "hive-jdbc*standalone.jar

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Expert Contributor

Ok, easy solution here: I took the hive-jdbc-<version>.jar file as dependency, but I have to take hive-jdbc-<version>-standalone.jar, so changing

/usr/hdp/current/hive-client/lib/hive-jdbc-1.2.1000.2.6.1.0-129.jar

into

/usr/hdp/2.6.1.0-129/hive2/jdbc/hive-jdbc-2.1.0.2.6.1.0-129-standalone.jar

did it for me!

You can find the hive-jdbc-standalone.jar with

find / -name "hive-jdbc*standalone.jar