Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here.

Not able to enter Hive Shell

Highlighted

Not able to enter Hive Shell

New Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to enter hive shell from CLI but its failing by throwing below error:-

[root@hadoop cloudera-scm-server]# hive

Logging initialized using configuration in jar:file:/opt/cloudera/parcels/CDH-5.4.3-1.cdh5.4.3.p0.6/jars/hive-common-1.1.0-cdh5.4.3.jar!/hive-log4j.properties
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:511)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.run(CliDriver.java:671)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:615)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:221)
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:136)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1488)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.<init>(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:64)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.getProxy(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:74)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createMetaStoreClient(Hive.java:2878)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getMSC(Hive.java:2897)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:492)
        ... 8 more
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1486)
        ... 13 more
Caused by: MetaException(message:Could not connect to meta store using any of the URIs provided. Most recent failure: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: GSS initiate failed
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.sendAndThrowMessage(TSaslTransport.java:232)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.open(TSaslTransport.java:316)
        at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslClientTransport.open(TSaslClientTransport.java:37)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.thrift.client.TUGIAssumingTransport$1.run(TUGIAssumingTransport.java:52)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.thrift.client.TUGIAssumingTransport$1.run(TUGIAssumingTransport.java:49)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:415)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1671)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.thrift.client.TUGIAssumingTransport.open(TUGIAssumingTransport.java:49)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.open(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:413)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:233)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(SessionHiveMetaStoreClient.java:74)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1486)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.<init>(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:64)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.getProxy(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:74)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createMetaStoreClient(Hive.java:2878)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getMSC(Hive.java:2897)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:492)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.run(CliDriver.java:671)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:615)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:221)
        at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:136)
)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.open(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:460)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:233)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(SessionHiveMetaStoreClient.java:74)
        ... 18 more

i have tried removing "db.lck" from /var/log/hive/metastore_db but couldn't help. Any quick help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Not able to enter Hive Shell

Master Guru
> Caused by: MetaException(message:Could not connect to meta store using any of the URIs provided. Most recent failure: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: GSS initiate failed

The error above likely suggests your HMS is configured for security (kerberos) but that your login lacks a valid TGT (such as one obtained via kinit). Could you post the output of klist, and confirm if a 'hadoop fs' test already works?
Highlighted

New Contributor

Hi Harsh,

thanks for your reply. I am able to login now. I had logged in as a root that's why it was giving that error due to kerberos enabled. I logged out from root and its working now.

thank you.

Highlighted

New Contributor

When I try to execute a hive query from a shell script I get a below error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient

I'm also passing credentails in my script as below:
<credentials>
<credential name="hive2" type="hive2">
<property>
<name>hive2.jdbc.url</name>
<value>${hiveUrl}</value>
</property>
<property>
<name>hive2.server.principal</name>
<value>${hivePrincipal}</value>
</property>
</credential>
</credentials>

Not sure what needs to be passed more to make a connection.
Anyhelp in this would be great.thanks!

Highlighted

Master Guru
You'll need a HCat credential for regular hive actions, not the Hive2
credential. The Hive2 credential is only for the hive2 actions.

I'd also recommend using Hue to design workflows, as it auto-adds
credentials when it finds that necessary, easing your work.
Highlighted

New Contributor

I tried to run directly from Hue editor, but still the same issue:

Caused by: MetaException(message:Could not connect to meta store using any of the URIs provided. Most recent failure: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: GSS initiate failed

This time I didn't added any credentials and it automatically got added as below:

credentials {u'hcat': {'xml_name': u'hcat', 'properties':
[('hcat.metastore.uri', u'thrift://*********'),
('hcat.metastore.principal', u'hive/********')]},
u'hive2': {'xml_name': u'hive2',
'properties': [('hive2.jdbc.url', 'jdbc:hive2://*******'),
('hive2.server.principal', 'hive/*******')]},
u'hbase': {'xml_name': u'hbase', 'properties': []}}

Highlighted

New Contributor

I was able to resolve the above issue by selecting hcat under credentials tab. But after that when I tried executing the workflow it gets stuck with repeated log as :

HeartBeat

HeartBeat...

Not sure whether it tries also now to connect to hive to fire a query also or not.

My shell script contains a single line as : echo "total:`hive -e 'select count(*) from tblname;'`"

Kindly guide.

Highlighted

Explorer

I have exact the same problem.

Don't have an account?
Coming from Hortonworks? Activate your account here