Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Oozie Hive action hive-site.xml permission denied

Expert Contributor

Oozie Hive Action throwing an error

Failing Oozie Launcher, Main class [org.apache.oozie.action.hadoop.HiveMain], main() threw exception, hive-site.xml (Permission denied)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: hive-site.xml (Permission denied)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Check the permissions (on the Oozie server) of the files in directory below. When updates are made to Hive, these files are updated. This is fairly new with Oozie, these files are automatically part of the path, so you don't need to add "hive" related site files to your Oozie workflows when doing Hive Actions.

/etc/oozie/conf/action-conf/hive

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Check the permissions (on the Oozie server) of the files in directory below. When updates are made to Hive, these files are updated. This is fairly new with Oozie, these files are automatically part of the path, so you don't need to add "hive" related site files to your Oozie workflows when doing Hive Actions.

/etc/oozie/conf/action-conf/hive

Expert Contributor

Hi David, Thanks for the response. When I run a Hive action in an individual workflow, it runs successfully. The issue occurs when I execute a pig action (that uses Hcatalog) followed by an Hive action.

Also I checked the config on the Oozie server and its owned by oozie:

-rw-r--r--. 1 oozie hadoop 19161 Sep 29 23:34 hive-site.xml

-rw-rw-r--. 1 oozie hadoop 6424 Sep 29 23:34 tez-site.xml

Thanks!

Ganesh

Expert Contributor

When I tried to run an Oozie workflow that contains Hive and Sqoop actions, I had the same problem. In my case, I had lib directory where hive-site.xml exists for Sqoop action. After I move hive-site.xml to the parent directory of lib directory, which is the HDFS deployment directory and I add the hive-site.xml as a file to Sqoop action, the workflow works. By the way, this is for HDP 2.3.2.

Master Guru

@grajagopal - In addition to all the answers, you can also include hive-site.xml in workflow using below tag

<job-xml>$path/hive-site.xml</job-xml>

Note - You need to put above tag after </prepare> tag. If you don't have <prepare> tags then you can put this after <namenode>. Please note that order is very important here or else you will get XML schema error.

New Contributor

I have the same issue. Can someone provide me the steps to resolve this?

Thanks.

Expert Contributor

Starting with HDP 2.2, hive-site.xml need not be added to the workflow as in earlier versions of Oozie as Oozie will automatically add the hive configuration if the action-conf/hive/ directory is properly setup. Ambari already handles this by copying the hive-site.xml to action-conf/hive/ directory whenever hive config changes are done.

If you still want to copy your own hive-site.xml, add it to the job-xml instead of as a file as Oozie creates hive-site as part of launching the hive client

Expert Contributor

Starting with HDP 2.2, hive-site.xml need not be added to the workflow as in earlier versions of Oozie as Oozie will automatically add the hive configuration if the action-conf/hive/ directory is properly setup. Ambari already handles this by copying the hive-site.xml to action-conf/hive/ directory whenever hive config changes are done.

If you still want to copy your own hive-site.xml, add it to the job-xml instead of as a file as Oozie creates hive-site as part of launching the hive client