Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Oozie REST API - Python - 401 Unauthorized

Contributor

I am trying to use the Requests library in Python to execute an Oozie workflow, via the REST API, in a kerberized Hadoop cluster. When trying to call the API I get a 401 Unauthorized message back.

#	kerberos_auth = HTTPKerberosAuth(mutual_authentication=OPTIONAL)
        response = s.post(
                url     = 'http://localhost:11000/oozie/v1/jobs?action=start',
                params  = {'action': 'start'},
                headers = headers,
                data    = workflow_xml,
#               auth    = kerberos_auth
                auth    = ('user', 'pass')
        )

I have also tried including the Python Kerberos library with no success. I have looked through the Oozie log with no noticeable error messages. I am assuming it didn't even make it that far for an error to be written in the log.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@Jesse PasswatersGood article

Depending on the tool we’re using to connect, additional arguments might need to be specified. For example, to use curl, as we can see above we have to specify the --negotiate and -uarguments. The username and password we specify with -u doesn’t matter because we’re using Kerberos, so we can put whatever we want (e.g. foo:bar, or even just :). If we omit the -u then we’ll get a 401 Unauthorized error; even though its value is not actually being used.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Master Mentor
@Jesse PasswatersGood article

Depending on the tool we’re using to connect, additional arguments might need to be specified. For example, to use curl, as we can see above we have to specify the --negotiate and -uarguments. The username and password we specify with -u doesn’t matter because we’re using Kerberos, so we can put whatever we want (e.g. foo:bar, or even just :). If we omit the -u then we’ll get a 401 Unauthorized error; even though its value is not actually being used.

Contributor

Thanks @Neeraj Sabharwal. I saw that article, but I guess it didn't click until you mentioned --negotiate.

I then found this article that explains how to correctly use the Kerberos library when authenticating. I have yet to try it, but have confidence it will work.

New Contributor

Was this answered? I tried the given suggestion, but still i'm getting following error.

I'm running my oozie java application through curl from edge node.

Steps ran:

1. kinit
2. curl -i -s --negotiate -u n590368c -X POST -H "Content-Type:application/xml" -d @wordcount.xml oozie_url:11000/oozie/v2/jobs?action=start
Error:
HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
WWW-Authenticate: Negotiate
Set-Cookie: hadoop.auth=; Path=/; Domain= ; Expires=Thu, 01-Jan-1970 00:00:00 GMT; HttpOnly
HTTP/1.1 201 Created
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1

Contributor

Are you using the FQDN for the oozie url?