Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Oozie java.lang.nullpointerexception the job doesnt even start

oozieerror.pngbxdbgenericproperties.txtworkflowgeneric.xmlI am getting a java.lang.nullpointer exception when I am trying to run the workflow similar to something mentioned here.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28972118/oozie-null-pointer-exception-when-submitting-jobs

I put the workflow to hdfd and have defined the properties and workflow.xml files try to run the job.properties. But it doesnt even start nothing.

Is there a way where I can either see a more verbose error or if someone has had a similiar error in the past how they solved it

Note I changed the end of the properties file to txt only for the forum could not upload a properties file.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Guru

Hello @elliot gimple,

Similar to what is mentioned in that StackOverflow answer, this NullPointerException could be due to some Oozie server side error and/or due to some missing property in Oozie job. For more verbose error, you should look into Oozie server log i.e. /var/log/oozie/oozie.log. Please paste these in the question:

1. Full stacktrace where you are getting the NullPointerException (even if it is similar as the link)

2. Oozie workflow.xml and job properties file.

3. Relevant snippet from Oozie server log.

With the help of these three, we will be able to help you out.

Regards

I have updated my question with your suggestions. Thanks

I resolved the issue basicly typos and invalid references its just a little frustrating that I cant the specific debug information if someone knows how. Like it tells me it failed but not what line in the oozie properties or workflow.xml failed etc,,,,

Guru

Hello @elliot gimple, I'm glad that it is now working for you. For the betterment of this forum, can you please tell us what was wrong and what did you change to fix it? That way, we can even accept your answer !

Thanks.

I resolved the issue basicly typos and invalid references its just a little frustrating that I cant the specific debug information if someone knows how. Like it tells me it failed but not what line in the oozie properties or workflow.xml failed etc,,,,