Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

OpenStack hardware architecture for running HDP

New Contributor

Hello all,

I'm planning to have my own private cloud using OpenStack. I've already seen some sample architectures to do so, like the following one: http://docs.openstack.org/openstack-ops/content/example_architecture.html

My ideas is to have a regular private cloud but also capable to run HDP efficiently.

My question then is the next one: Which architecture should I use in order to run a HDP in my OpenStack cloud? There is any architecture sample out there to achieve that?

My guess is about having 4 compute nodes (with enough RAM, CPU and local storage, Cinder, to run many VMs as Hadoop nodes), 1 controller node (API services, high availability services, Neutron) and 1 Swift node (for all storage but Hadoop nodes storage).

What do you think about this possible architecture? Does it make sense?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes you can use openstack for hadoop, because we are running successfully hdp on openstack since from last 9 months. And for hadoop node storage increase the size of cow2 image.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Yes you can use openstack for hadoop, because we are running successfully hdp on openstack since from last 9 months. And for hadoop node storage increase the size of cow2 image.

New Contributor

Do you think having just 1 controller node is enough? This node will run Neutron, OpenStack components API services, OS and some monitoring staff as well.

@Marc Cardus

Yes 1 controller is enough. Because you don't have big environment. I am running with same configuration 4 compute node 1 controller and I don't see any issues to monitor openstack components.

Rising Star

For a size like this is fine - you can check these Ansible scripts in order to set up an OpenStack, than use Cloudbreak.

@Marc Cardus

If you you agree with answer, then lets close this one.