Support Questions
Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Alert: Welcome to the Unified Cloudera Community. Former HCC members be sure to read and learn how to activate your account here. Want to know more about what has changed? Check out the Community News blog.

ParseException line 1:162 cannot recognize input near '' '' '' in statement

SOLVED Go to solution
Highlighted

ParseException line 1:162 cannot recognize input near '' '' '' in statement

New Contributor

I am getting error when running the below query ;

Error occurred executing hive query: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: ParseException line 1:162 cannot recognize input near '<EOF>' '<EOF>' '<EOF>' in statement

With Q as (select CLAIMNUMBER,EXP_ID,EXP_COVERAGE,VEHICLE_STYLE From orc_claiminfo Where VEHICLE_STYLE != "" AND EXP_COVERAGE ="Property Damage - Vehicle Damage");

select * from Q;

Select statement works all well, if I execute separate.

Anyone knows whats the issue??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: ParseException line 1:162 cannot recognize input near '' '' '' in statement

Master Collaborator

Perhaps what you want is a CTAS statement not a CTE.

create table q as select CLAIMNUMBER,EXP_ID,EXP_COVERAGE,VEHICLE_STYLE from orc_claiminfo where VEHICLE_STYLE != "" AND EXP_COVERAGE = "Property Damage - Vehicle Damage"

This way you can use table q later.

3 REPLIES 3

New Contributor

I have some finding here, if I run only the statement

With Q as (select CLAIMNUMBER,EXP_ID,EXP_COVERAGE,VEHICLE_STYLE From orc_claiminfo Where VEHICLE_STYLE != "" AND EXP_COVERAGE ="Property Damage - Vehicle Damage")

I get the error. But if I run with select * from Q, it works (below).

With Q as (select CLAIMNUMBER,EXP_ID,EXP_COVERAGE,VEHICLE_STYLE From orc_claiminfo Where VEHICLE_STYLE != "" AND EXP_COVERAGE ="Property Damage - Vehicle Damage")

select * from Q

But I don't want to have select immediately after getting the data set. I want to use it later. Any resolution??

New Contributor

You're saying if you put SQL statements between "with Q..." and "select *..." then you get the error? If so can you share an example SQL statement that is between that causes the error?

Master Collaborator

Perhaps what you want is a CTAS statement not a CTE.

create table q as select CLAIMNUMBER,EXP_ID,EXP_COVERAGE,VEHICLE_STYLE from orc_claiminfo where VEHICLE_STYLE != "" AND EXP_COVERAGE = "Property Damage - Vehicle Damage"

This way you can use table q later.