Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Paywall also for CDH 6.3.x? and open source availability?

Rising Star

See latest Cloudera announcement about moving to a subscription model.

https://www.cloudera.com/downloads/paywall-expansion.html

Does this mean that even the older versions (6.3.x and older) that until now have still been available for download without a subscription, will no longer be available without a subscription?

Does that mean that if you have a cluster running 6.3.x without a subscription, you can no longer add new nodes to the cluster? or might this still work if you have already downloaded the parcels using Cloudera Manager?

What is the status of making all the code (such as Cloudera Manager) open source and available?

I've not seen any news about that anymore.

The pricing for CDH is very high, probably a lot of "legacy" users cannot afford it, what is the best option if you now need to move away from CDH, use plain Apache Hadoop? or other database such as Clickhouse or AWS Athena?

i appreciate any info on my question.

Lot's of questions.

14 REPLIES 14

Master Guru

@crcerror Let me try to address your concern:

Does this mean that even the older versions (6.3.x and older) that until now have still been available for download without a subscription, will no longer be available without a subscription?

Yes, effective from January 31, 2020 every Cloudera software's binaries can be only accessed via a valid subscription. 

Does that mean that if you have a cluster running 6.3.x without a subscription, you can no longer add new nodes to the cluster? or might this still work if you have already downloaded the parcels using Cloudera Manager?
This will remain unchanged, as the paywall is only affecting accessing the binaries. The catch is if you have local repo set you can distribute parcels and expand cluster, but downloading parcels over internet will fail in this case. 

What is the status of making all the code (such as Cloudera Manager) open source and available?

As far as I know you can still access source code from https://github.com/cloudera/ page only binaries can't be downloaded. The best way to get more details is to reach out Cloudera Sales Team

The pricing for CDH is very high, probably a lot of "legacy" users cannot afford it, what is the best option if you now need to move away from CDH, use plain Apache Hadoop? or other database such as Clickhouse or AWS Athena?
I would highly encourage you to reach out Cloudera Sales Team as you can get a better picture on pricing then. However you can still use Cloudera Trial software version without any issues. 

Cheers!
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

New Contributor

What happens if my subscription expires?
You will lose access to support, future releases, security fixes and other patches. Furthermore, when a license expires, users will no longer be able to access the Cloudera Manager Admin console to manage clusters until a valid license is uploaded. However, clusters will continue to function, data will remain intact, and workloads will continue running without interruption.

--------------------------------------------------------------

@GangWar Dose it mean I can not access the cm which version before 6.3.x without a valid Cloudera subscription after January 31, 2021 ? 

Any information would be appreciated

Master Guru

@chyy132 Ideally you should be able to access CM but if the license expires then CM will redirect you to the downgrade wizard means you will have. to select express edition to continue, worth to note your Cluster will nota have some features then.

Cheers!
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.

Explorer

@GangWar  So, if the cluster was always in express edition, would that continue to work without any implication of Jan31st change ? Or we would not be able to access the Cloudera Manager Console(CDH5.16 Express)  ?

Master Guru

@Navyarani_A It should work however I can't test this as this is not implemented at this moment to give you 100% assurance but in my experience that should be okay and will continue to work. 

Cheers!

New Contributor

Hi @GangWar. Thank you for the information. I'm still confused on some matters. Can you offer some further clarification?

@GangWar wrote:

@crcerror Let me try to address your concern:

Yes, effective from January 31, 2020 every Cloudera software's binaries can be only accessed via a valid subscription. 

You mean January 31, 2021, right?

This will remain unchanged, as the paywall is only affecting accessing the binaries. The catch is if you have local repo set you can distribute parcels and expand cluster, but downloading parcels over internet will fail in this case. 

Sorry, I still don't understand how the Jan. 31, 2021 changes will affect an existing Cloudera Manager Express/CDH cluster. From a completely practical perspective, exactly what does a current Cloudera Manager Express/CDH user need to do before Jan. 31st to ensure that their existing installation continues to function as it does before Jan. 31st, including all capabilities such as adding/removing hosts, monitoring, etc? Is there specific documentation for this?

As far as I know you can still access source code from https://github.com/cloudera/ page only binaries can't be downloaded. The best way to get more details is to reach out Cloudera Sales Team

I can't find the source code to CDH, CDP or Cloudera Manager in Cloudera's Github org.

To quote Cloudera's blog post https://blog.cloudera.com/our-commitment-to-open-source-software/ ,

For example, components such as Cloudera Manager, Cloudera Navigator, and Cloudera Data Science Workbench will all eventually be available under an open source license.

and

We plan to enact the license changes for all new releases moving forward including HDP, CDH and the upcoming Cloudera Data Platform (“CDP”).

and

Between September 2019 and January 2020, we’ll establish the new open source projects for formerly closed source components and begin licensing them under the AGPL.

Can you point us to the source code for these specific products?

Cheers.

Michael Allman

Michael,

I think you bring up a series of valid questions, and the previously posted answer, which was:

The best way to get more details is to reach out to your representative on the Cloudera Sales Team.

…remains accurate and the best way to get answers tailored to your organization's specific needs.

I think I can shed some light on the final issue you raised, however:

I can't find the source code to CDH, CDP or Cloudera Manager in Cloudera's Github org…Can you point us to the source code for these specific products?

As I understand the situation right now, the plan never was to simply place the source code for CDH, CDP or Cloudera Manager on Cloudera's GitHub repo and let end-user's have at it and I don't believe that the blog post you cited promises that. 

Put another way, "enacting license changes" and "establish the new open source projects for formerly closed source components" is not the same thing as "put the source code on GitHub so it's available to people who do not have a Cloudera subscription".

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator

Rising Star

In "Our Commitment to Open Source Software", Cloudera does mention that previously closed components such as Cloudera Manager will become available under an open source license

Does this means that in time there will be an alternative open source version of the CDH stack that can be used without a subscription?

https://blog.cloudera.com/our-commitment-to-open-source-software/

1. Over the course of the next 6 months, we plan to consolidate and transition the small number of projects currently licensed by Cloudera under closed source licenses to open source licenses.  For example, components such as Cloudera Manager, Cloudera Navigator, and Cloudera Data Science Workbench will all eventually be available under an open source license.

" Between September 2019 and January 2020, we’ll establish the new open source projects for formerly closed source components and begin licensing them under the AGPL."

New Contributor

Hi @ask_bill_brooks,

Thanks for the follow up. There seems to be some confusion around the term "open source" and what that really means in terms of availability. Many assume that open source is the same as FOSS, which I understand is not true. If the announcement regarding Cloudera's commitment to open source clarified that source code would be available to paying subscriber's only I think the message would be clearer.

I also believe part of the confusion is a level of disbelief that the community distribution of CDH, after what is perhaps over a decade of availability, is being terminated. That is a major disruption for small/medium companies that run on CDH.

On your advice, I've urged my client to contact sales.

Cheers.