Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Performance metrics phoenix bulk load vs hbase bulk load?

Master Guru

Are there any known performance stats between phoenix bulk load (mapreduce) vs hbase bulk load?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Sunile Manjee

I don't have stats, but you need to use Phoenix Bulk Load regardless, as HBase Bulk Load will not ensure consistent secondary indices, nor will it use the correct signing and byte ordering conventions that Phoenix needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Sunile Manjee

I don't have stats, but you need to use Phoenix Bulk Load regardless, as HBase Bulk Load will not ensure consistent secondary indices, nor will it use the correct signing and byte ordering conventions that Phoenix needs.

@Sunile Manjee

I have never seen vs stats on these two bulk loading calls. If you have a phoenix table it would require a little bit of work to get a native Hbase schema to really look enough like a phoenix table for this comparaison to mean anything. Things like complex keys or column types come to mind. If it is just a phoenix view on an hbase table then comparaison might make more sense but you loose a lot of phoenix magic.

Overall the performance should not variate much from one to the other aside from any extra work you hide in the Phoenix table, like index,stats...

From a pure operations perspective use the bulkload best fitted to the type of your table

Master Guru

@nmaillard & @Randy Gelhausen great stuff. thank you