Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Permission denied: user=admin

Expert Contributor

I installed my HDP Cluster without any errors. I got 100% success and I could see in Ambari that all services were started.

But I notice that under user there is no directory for admin. (I am logged into amber as admin/admin).

When I try to upload a file on HDFS I get error

Permission denied: user=admin, access=WRITE, inode="/foo.py":hdfs:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.check(FSPermissionChecker.java:353) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.check(FSPermissionChecker.java:325) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:246) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:190) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.checkPermission(FSDirectory.java:1950) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.checkPermission(FSDirectory.java:1934) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSDirectory.checkAncestorAccess(FSDirectory.java:1917) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.startFileInternal(FSNamesystem.java:2767) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.startFileInt(FSNamesystem.java:2702) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.startFile(FSNamesystem.java:2586) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNodeRpcServer.create(NameNodeRpcServer.java:736)

I googled and found this

https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/97703/hive-write-permission-denied.html

But for me the solution above does not work because there is no directory called `/user/admin`

Edit: I solved the problem with these two commands

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -mkdir /user/admin

sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chown -R admin:admin /user/admin

After this I can work in these directories. but I am curios to know why out o the box the admin user has no permissions in my cluster (In the Hortonworks sandbox. admin user can work on all directories).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
hide-solution

This problem has been solved!

Want to get a detailed solution you have to login/registered on the community

Register/Login
2 REPLIES 2

Master Mentor
hide-solution

This problem has been solved!

Want to get a detailed solution you have to login/registered on the community

Register/Login

Master Mentor

@Knows NotMuch

In Sandbox it works because Sandbox includes a pre configured cluster with pre configured users and their home directories.