Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Please confirm the hive version with CM4.6.3

Explorer

hi,

I installed CDH4.3 by CM4.6.3 about 3 months ago.

and from Cloudera Manager web page, we have:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Component     Version     Component Version
Cloudera Manager Agent     Not applicable     4.6.3
Hadoop     CDH4     2.0.0+1367
Hive     CDH4     0.10.0+134

and I can use hiveserver2.

but from: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Setting+up+HiveServer2

says: "Introduced in Hive version 0.11".

So, one said hs2 is introduced in hive0.11, but I use hs2 in hive0.10

So, which one is correct?

So far, I encountered many issues with hiveserver2 with ODBC (always timeout or all kinds of exception for big data retrieved from hive).

I just want to know:

Is this Hive version 0.10.0+134 a product ready version with hiveserver2?

or I should upgrade to hive0.11 or even hive 0.12?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Hi qwert,

Thanks for posting.

The docs you are referring to you are Apache Hive docs. The release number they are referring to is from Apache Hive as well. That is to say, that the first release of Apache Hive that contains Hive Server2 is Apache Hive 0.11.

In your case, the version of Hive you see is CDH4.3.0's 0.10.0+134. The version 0.10+134 means that CDH4.3 contains Apache Hive 0.10 and 134 patches applied on top of it. Since CDH, Cloudera's Distribution Including Apache Hadoop, is 100% open source, each and every one of these patches is from Apache Hive. These are changes that were not in Apache Hive 0.10 but were committed later upstream that Cloudera decided to include, integrate and test as a part of its distribution. One of those 134 patches corresponds to the Hive Server2 and hence Hive Server2 is a part of and is supported in CDH 4.3.0. In fact, the first Cloudera release that included Hive Server2 was CDH4.1.0.

If you have any particular issues with Hive Server2, please file a separate issue. We will be happy to work with you on that.

Moreover, if you plan on using other features in Apache Hive 0.11, you can use, CDH 5 beta1 which contains Hive 0.11.0 and 483 patches applied over it.

http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/10/cloudera-enterprise-5-beta-is-now-available-for-download/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Super Collaborator

Hello,

The Hive version you have installed is correct for CDH 4.3.  I'm not sure why that docs says HS2 was introduced in Hive version 0.11.  However, HiveServer2 has been available in CDH since CDH 4.1.2.  HS2 in CDH 4.3 should work fine.  We definitely do not recommend running a different version of Hive with any version of CDH.  All the versions included in a CDH release have been thoroughly tested together and confirmed to work together.

Have you opened tickets for the issues you are seeing?  

Thanks

Chris

Expert Contributor

Hi qwert,

Thanks for posting.

The docs you are referring to you are Apache Hive docs. The release number they are referring to is from Apache Hive as well. That is to say, that the first release of Apache Hive that contains Hive Server2 is Apache Hive 0.11.

In your case, the version of Hive you see is CDH4.3.0's 0.10.0+134. The version 0.10+134 means that CDH4.3 contains Apache Hive 0.10 and 134 patches applied on top of it. Since CDH, Cloudera's Distribution Including Apache Hadoop, is 100% open source, each and every one of these patches is from Apache Hive. These are changes that were not in Apache Hive 0.10 but were committed later upstream that Cloudera decided to include, integrate and test as a part of its distribution. One of those 134 patches corresponds to the Hive Server2 and hence Hive Server2 is a part of and is supported in CDH 4.3.0. In fact, the first Cloudera release that included Hive Server2 was CDH4.1.0.

If you have any particular issues with Hive Server2, please file a separate issue. We will be happy to work with you on that.

Moreover, if you plan on using other features in Apache Hive 0.11, you can use, CDH 5 beta1 which contains Hive 0.11.0 and 483 patches applied over it.

http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/10/cloudera-enterprise-5-beta-is-now-available-for-download/

Explorer
Thanks for quick&clear reply