Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Principal not defined in configuration while starting the rest server

i was following this doc

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.5.0/bk_command-line-installation/content/ref-9e8...

configured some of the property in custom-hbase-site.xml

8790-screen-shot-2016-10-22-at-65355-pm.png

but still i am getting same error after starting hbase rest server

2016-10-22 13:19:24,423 WARN  [main] mortbay.log: Error starting handlersjavax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.ServletException: Principal not defined in configuration        at org.apache.hadoop.security.authentication.server.KerberosAuthenticationHandler.init(KerberosAuthenticationHandler.java:241)        at org.apache.hadoop.security.authentication.server.AuthenticationFilter.initializeAuthHandler(AuthenticationFilter.java:247)        at org.apache.hadoop.security.authentication.server.AuthenticationFilter.init(AuthenticationFilter.java:233)        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.FilterHolder.doStart(FilterHolder.java:97)        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize(ServletHandler.java:713)        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:140)        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:518)        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:130)        at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:224)        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.rest.RESTServer.main(RESTServer.java:310)Caused by: javax.servlet.ServletException: Principal not defined in configuration        at org.apache.hadoop.security.authentication.server.KerberosAuthenticationHandler.init(KerberosAuthenticationHandler.java:186)        ... 12 more2016-10-22 13:19:24,426 WARN  [main] mortbay.log: Nested in javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.ServletException: Principal not defined in configuration:javax.servlet.ServletException: Principal not defined in configuration        at org.apache.hadoop.security.authentication.server.KerberosAuthenticationHandler.init(KerberosAuthenticationHandler.java:186)        at org.apache.hadoop.security.authentication.server.AuthenticationFilter.initializeAuthHandler(AuthenticationFilter.java:247)        at org.apache.hadoop.security.authentication.server.AuthenticationFilter.init(AuthenticationFilter.java:233)        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.FilterHolder.doStart(FilterHolder.java:97)        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize(ServletHandler.java:713)        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:140)        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:518)        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:130)        at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:224)        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.rest.RESTServer.main(RESTServer.java:310)2016-10-22 13:19:24,469 INFO  [main] mortbay.log: Started SslSelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:17000

note this is a ssl enabled and secure cluster , please let me know if i have missed something , thanks in advance.

screen-shot-2016-10-22-at-65355-pm.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Deepak Sharma I guess you are using the service principals in your configuration. Can you try using spnego principal and keytabs as mentioned below..

<property>
     <name>hbase.rest.authentication</name>
     <value>kerberos</value>
     <description^>Enter the authentication method for the REST server.</description>
</property>

<property>
     <name>hbase.rest.kerberos.spnego.principal</name>
     <value>HTTP/_HOST@EXAMPLE.COM</value>
     <description>Enter the hostname of the principal.</description>
</property>

<property>
     <name>hbase.rest.keytab.file</name>
     <value>/etc/security/keytabs/spnego.service.keytab</value>
     <description>Enter the location of the keytab.</description>
</property>

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Deepak Sharma I guess you are using the service principals in your configuration. Can you try using spnego principal and keytabs as mentioned below..

<property>
     <name>hbase.rest.authentication</name>
     <value>kerberos</value>
     <description^>Enter the authentication method for the REST server.</description>
</property>

<property>
     <name>hbase.rest.kerberos.spnego.principal</name>
     <value>HTTP/_HOST@EXAMPLE.COM</value>
     <description>Enter the hostname of the principal.</description>
</property>

<property>
     <name>hbase.rest.keytab.file</name>
     <value>/etc/security/keytabs/spnego.service.keytab</value>
     <description>Enter the location of the keytab.</description>
</property>

@Ayub Khan thank you for your answer but even after using spnego keytab i face same issue 😞

@Deepak Sharma

Looking at the kerberosAuthenticationHandler code(at line number 183), seems like your configuration has missing properties. Please add below props and let me know if it works..

<property>
  <name>hbase.rest.authentication.kerberos.principal</name>
  <value>HTTP/_HOST@HADOOP.LOCALDOMAIN</value>
</property>
<property>
  <name>hbase.rest.authentication.kerberos.keytab</name>
  <value>$KEYTAB</value>
</property>

For more information, please refer to https://hbase.apache.org/book.html#security.example.config.

I have verified by adding above missing properties, hbase startup is successful and things look good. Please try and confirm.

8801-hbase-rest-missing-props.png

Thank you ayub 🙂 this error resolved after add these properties , now i am seeing other error that seems some thing related to SSL