Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Problems moving data between csv and avro tables

Explorer

Hello All,

I've just recently started working with Impala and I'm running into an issue. If I run the following code in either the impala-shell or hue:

INSERT INTO orderdataagg_dav SELECT * FROM orderdataagg_dav_csv2;

I get this error:

Writing to table format AVRO is not supported. Use query option ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_FORMATS to override.

What I'm trying to accomplish is moving data from a table that's Stored as Textfile to a different table that's Stored As Avro. From the Googleing I've done it looks like this is do able. So I'm wondering what I'm missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm afraid that Impala currently does not support writing Avro data. Even though you can enable experimental support, we strongly advise against that, and instead recomment using another tool such as Hive or Kite to do the conversion. My apologies for the inconvenience.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I'm afraid that Impala currently does not support writing Avro data. Even though you can enable experimental support, we strongly advise against that, and instead recomment using another tool such as Hive or Kite to do the conversion. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Explorer

That's what I was suspecting would be the answer after talking with a coworker, re-reading a Cloudera blog post, and experimentation Hive. I'll have to check into kite.