Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Processing Fixed Width Files in Hive Using Native (Non-UTF8) Character Sets

Hi,

I have a requirement to load Fixed Width file in hive table where input file is not always UTF-8 encoded.

I found 2 different classes are available for this - 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.RegexSerDe' to read from fixed width file on defined offset values and 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.lazy.LazySimpleSerDe' for non utf8 encoding. But unable to use them together when creating external table.

Can someone of you please help me with a solution. Thanks in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

I would just read the table with the LazySimpleSerDe and use the substr() function to extract out the columns. I've found that to be more performant than the RegexSerDe and it's clearer to read. You can either run the substring query directly or put it in a view.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Expert Contributor

I would just read the table with the LazySimpleSerDe and use the substr() function to extract out the columns. I've found that to be more performant than the RegexSerDe and it's clearer to read. You can either run the substring query directly or put it in a view.

Thank you Shawn for your prompt response. I found an alternate way. Did UTF-8 conversion using iconv before reading in external table with RegexSerDe. In my case Hive by default supports UTF-8 charactersets.