Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Python 2.7 in sandbox

Contributor

Hi Hortonworks Team,

We are getting error "DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 will reach the end of its life on January 1st, 2020" during pip install. I can see that HDP3.0/HDF3.2 are having python 2.7. My question is post January 1st, 2020. will HDP3.0/HDF3.2 stop working or we will not be able to install any python library through pip or there will be new release of HDP/HDF sandboxes with python version > 2.7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor
So EOL just means that Python 2 will no longer be supported. That doesn't mean anything using Python 2 will not be supported. Any applications that currently use Python 2.7 will still work, but any bugs in Python 2.7 won't be fixed. Additionally, pip will not work with Python 2.7 after version 19.1. As long as the version of pip you have installed is less than this, you'll still be able to use Python 2.7 for a while, until the repository itself is taken down or reconfigured in a way that breaks old pip. See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54915381/will-pip-work-for-python-2-7-after-its-end-of-life-on-1... for more details on that. I am not sure on the plans for HDP/CDH/CDP support for Python 2.7 going forward, so that's a question for the dev team directly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Contributor
So EOL just means that Python 2 will no longer be supported. That doesn't mean anything using Python 2 will not be supported. Any applications that currently use Python 2.7 will still work, but any bugs in Python 2.7 won't be fixed. Additionally, pip will not work with Python 2.7 after version 19.1. As long as the version of pip you have installed is less than this, you'll still be able to use Python 2.7 for a while, until the repository itself is taken down or reconfigured in a way that breaks old pip. See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54915381/will-pip-work-for-python-2-7-after-its-end-of-life-on-1... for more details on that. I am not sure on the plans for HDP/CDH/CDP support for Python 2.7 going forward, so that's a question for the dev team directly.