Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Query to find the count of columns for all tables in impala

Explorer

I am trying to fetch a count of total columns for a list of individual tables/views from Impala from the same schema.

however i wanted to scan through all the tables from that schema to capture the counts of columns of all the tables in a single query ?

i have already performed a similar exercise from Oracle Exa data ,however since i a new to Impala is there a way to capture all the tables in a single query ?

Exadata query for reference

# Oracle Exadata query i used

select owner, table_name as view_name, count(*) as counts
from dba_tab_cols /*DBA_TABLES_COLUMNS*/
where (owner, table_name) in
(
select owner, view_name
from dba_views /*DBA_VIEWS*/
where 1=1
and owner='DESIRED_SCHEMA_NAME'
)
group by owner ,table_name
order by counts desc;

impala /hive

DESCRIBE schemaName.tableName;

# Impala /Hive

how to find out ? if i need to run a single query check i was following the below 

for multiple tables/view how to find out the total column counts ?

1 REPLY 1

Expert Contributor

In Hive, metadata related to tables and columns is typically stored in the 'hive' database, specifically within the 'TBLS' and 'COLUMNS_V2' tables in the 'metastore' database. It is not recommended for users to query the metadata directly. Instead, users can leverage the 'sys' database tables.

Here is a modified query that utilizes the 'hive' database tables:

sql

USE sys;

-- Get the count of columns for all tables 
SELECT
  t.tbl_name AS TABLE_NAME,
  COUNT(c.column_name) AS COLUMN_COUNT
FROM
  tbls t
JOIN
  columns_v2 c
ON
  t.tbl_id = c.cd_id
GROUP BY
  t.tbl_name;

Explanation:

• The 'sys.tbls' table contains information about tables, while the 'sys.columns_v2' table contains information about columns.
  • We join these tables on the 'TBL_ID' and 'CD_ID' columns to retrieve information about columns for each table.
  • The 'COUNT(c.COLUMN_NAME)' expression calculates the count of columns for each table.

This query provides a list of tables along with the count of columns for each table, using the 'sys' database tables."