Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Question on Admin node and Gateway node

Expert Contributor

Folks, As per my understanding we can perform all the admin functions from Name node so my question is why do we need a separate admin node and also what is the purpose of Gateway node.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

@Kumar Veerapan

It is not true that namenode will perform all admin functions. You need Ambari to manage the cluster. Namenode only stores the metadata for Hadoop files.

As for gateway, you need these because in a large cluster you don't want clients to connect directly to the cluster and open up the cluster for clients. You would rather have gateway nodes so clients use these to access the cluster.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Super Guru

@Kumar Veerapan

It is not true that namenode will perform all admin functions. You need Ambari to manage the cluster. Namenode only stores the metadata for Hadoop files.

As for gateway, you need these because in a large cluster you don't want clients to connect directly to the cluster and open up the cluster for clients. You would rather have gateway nodes so clients use these to access the cluster.

Expert Contributor

@mqureshi

Ambari runs on Admin nodes..In my environment( I just took over) I see HIVE and some DBs running on the admin node

Super Guru

Those db's are likely for hive metastore as well as for Ambari. These services are often run on master or edge nodes.